Replace before or after break in?

GoldenMotor.com

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I am going to be replacing my spark plug and plug wire with some better quality parts. This has been suggested on here by several people. I am wondering though, should I keep the motor as it is out of the box during the break in, or would it be best to replace before, or does it really matter at all?

Same question applies for possibly an expansion chamber....

Just some info on my motor,
2010 Grubee Skyhawk 66cc with CNS carb

and just something I have been wondering about, how bad are these engines for fouling plugs?

Thanks!

ps: searched for a forum with this info but couldnt find anything, if anyone has a link to it that would be great!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
X-chambers rock, period.
What does your 2010 Grubee motors manual say for gas:oops:il mix?
Is it still 16-18:1? Then 25:1 thereafter?

Apparently clear up to 2009 that gas:oops:il mix was for using regual old motor oil, not real 2-stroke oil because, well, it was China.

Common wisdom now is 25:1 for a tank and then 35:1 with a good 2-stroke oil.

A new plug never hurts after the first tank of gas, but a new plug wire and cap really isn't necessary unless you a need longer wire.

Personally I mount the CDI as high up as I can and replace all the other wiring and add a keylock ignition switch to it right on the CDI but that's just me.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i replace my plug and wire as soon as i take it out of the box. i've never fouled a plug. i run Opti-2 at 100:1 from day one.

i've had stock plugs with bent electrodes and cracked porcelain, and wires that were hard and brittle.

it's an inexpensive upgrade that can save you time and frustration in the future.

on the otherhand, though, plenty of people have run the stock parts with no problem. it's all a matter of what works for you.

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
X-chambers rock, period.
What does your 2010 Grubee motors manual say for gas:oops:il mix?
Is it still 16-18:1? Then 25:1 thereafter?
Motor hasnt come in yet, but when it does I will let you know!

To get a proper baseline, put it together once at the beginning, with all the stuff you're going to put on the engine for now, and ride it like you mean it for a couple hundred miles. Then start doing more performance upgrades.
Thanks that was the info I was looking for!!! Looks like I will be replacing plug and wire and doing exhaust after I get some miles on her.