Brand New Will Not Run

GoldenMotor.com

joeselect

Aug 10, 2010
illinois
I Installed My Kit Per Instruction And It Will Not Run Only Fires When Peddling I Even Changed Oil/Gas Mixture Still No Change Can Someone Help Or Give Me Suggestions Its A 2 Cycle 66cc Thanks

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if it is actually firing and not just the "pop pop" of the compression, then you're almost there.

first, check to make sure you have fuel flowing, all the way to the plug, not just outta the tank. if it's trying to fire, you might have soaked the plug with fuel and oil. remove it, and if it's wet, clean it off with carb cleaner gap it at .30 and re-install.

if it's dry, you're probably not getting fuel. trace the fuel route backwards. pull the carb, make sure the float bowl's got fuel, check the jets, check your petcock, fuel line, filter, tank...etc.

if you have fuel and you have spark, check to make sure your throttle's working properly. take off the air filter and look down the throat of the carb. tighten the idle screw all the way in till it stops (don't force it) then back it out 3.5 to 4 full turns.

as you turn in the screw, you should see the slide moving up. make sure the slide's not binding.

now, twist the throttle. the slide should move all the way up till you can't see it, and return down to where it rest on the idle screw.

if all that's working, then lift the choke lever up, pump the primer button a coupla times, and pedal it till it starts. may take a little effort, may fire right up. just keep pedaling once it starts and the engine takes over.

good luck.

joeselect

Aug 10, 2010
illinois
Thanks For The Suggestions But Ive Done All That And Still No Change The Plug Was Black And I Cleaned With Carb And Choke Cleaner Pedaled For 5 Min No Catch

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
then it might not actually be firing. just the noise of the compression cycle as it rolls.

check your wiring. make sure it's correct, and make sure they're tight. i solder mine together. make sure they're insulated and not grounding out.

check the kill switch, too. that's a common problem. a simple test is to disconnect it, tape it up so it won't ground out, and try starting it.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I would look at the electrical if the plug is wet. I once worked up a sweat trying to start my bike after making some changes. I was thinking my "changes" broke something, but I had not firmly seated the spark plug boot. Make sure you feel it "snap" or "click" on to your spark plug and not just sitting on it.

joeselect

Aug 10, 2010
illinois
Thanks Guys For The Suggestions I Was Thinking The Same Or I Already Fouled Plug I Got New Plug And CDI Ordered Again Thanks

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
This might be a really silly suggesstion but the 1st time I tried to start mine it failed to start. After much frustration I figured out that I forgot to turn the fuel petcock on and give the engine gas. Yes my face is still red from embarrassment.

Anyway check for spark and check to make sure your throttle assembly is working properly too.

One thing common with new builds is that debris clogs up the strainer on the petcock and the jet/needle valve in the carb. They don't do very good cleaning the newly fabricated parts sometimes.

joeselect

Aug 10, 2010
illinois
I Just Wanted To Thank Everybody On Their Suggestions Its Now Running Great Had A Blast On It Just Wondering One More Thing How To Get Rid Of Some Vibration Again Thanks

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Woohoo! Congratulations on your repairs!
They all vibrate. The amount depends on the bicycle frame design, the way the engine is mounted, and the particular engine. I use a spring cushioned seat and soft, almost gel like hand grips to help combat it.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
I like to use gloves with a gel padding on the fingers and the palm to help keep my hands from falling asleep from the vibration as I ride.

joeselect

Aug 10, 2010
illinois
Runnin Great Now But Just Curious Why Its Drinkin Gas Already Went Through 2 Tanks With About 50 Miles On It The Tank Is 1/2 Gal. Thanks

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The engine will get better MPG as it breaks in.
The air/ fuel ratio will also affect it.
If it is running well, I recommend leaving the air/ fuel ratio rich, the way it seems to be right now, until you have gotten at least 200 miles on it.
After that you can fine tune the carburetor.