Centrifugal Clutch?

GoldenMotor.com

Dougan

Apr 5, 2010
wisconsin
I've searched the forum and found a surprisingly low amount of information about them. Does anybody have it? How effective is it? Would you recommend it?

I'm trying to make a build for the ladyfriend and I think she'd enjoy it a lot more if she didn't have to clutch as much. But, due to the lack of discussion around here I'm nervous it's just not worth it.

Also, is it a problem getting the bike started w/o a rope start? I did read someone mention if you leave the regular clutch installed you can kickstart it like normal. True?

This is the component I am speaking about: Zoombicycles Addon - Centrifugal Clutch (5-3) | Accessories | Parts and Accessories | EHBC Distributors Ltd

Thanks everyone.
Scott

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
I don't have one, but here's some notes:

Once you install it, your engine is wider, and your pedals will hit then engine, you need shorter or wider pedal cranks.

If you decide to use a pullstart, replace the cord, the stock ones snap etc.

I'm pretty sure you can kickstart it like normal.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Silverbear had one and if I remember right he wasn't all that impressed with it.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Also, is it a problem getting the bike started w/o a rope start? I did read someone mention if you leave the regular clutch installed you can kickstart it like normal. True?
Ever try to 'push start' an automatic transmission car?
Trying to start a typical 2-stroke motorized bike with no starter isn't just harder, it's impossible.

A C-clutch only engages the drive when the MOTOR spins fast enough to spin it's engaging force mech out to engage the drive side.
It doesn't work the other way around.

The drive side of a C-clutch is stationary, it simply can't engage the clutch to start your motor no matter how fast it spins.

I suggest you get her a cheap bike (well, $300 or so with a front shock if you really love her) and put a Jackshaft kit on it.

Even on just a 3-speed hub shift you don't need to mess with the clutch at all until you are under 5 MPH in 1st gear, maybe as little as 1 MPH with more gears as most of them lower the gear ratio, hence stopping ;-}

The added benefit is she will be able to start it with just a pedal or two and letting out the clutch.
The bummer for you however will be when she leaves you in the dust even on her 48cc bike regardless of your direct drive motor size once she gets the hang of shifting it.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Ever try to 'push start' an automatic transmission car?
You could on a Corvair. :D

Trying to start a typical 2-stroke motorized bike with no starter isn't just harder, it's impossible.

A C-clutch only engages the drive when the MOTOR spins fast enough to spin it's engaging force mech out to engage the drive side.
It doesn't work the other way around.

The drive side of a C-clutch is stationary, it simply can't engage the clutch to start your motor no matter how fast it spins.
I don't want to say you're wrong but read the above posted thread and you can see for yourself that you are.

You DO NOT need a pull start for a centrifugal clutch on a two stroke. After all if you did why would they sell it as an option?