Can't Start

GoldenMotor.com

HiddenRose

Jul 1, 2010
Orlando
I can't start my grubee skyhawk gt5 66cc I finished setting it up today and the chain keeps falling off the sprocket. When I hold in the clutch and pedal then pop the clutch it acts like it wants to start put put put then it doesn't do anything. I can really use some help here!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Double check your wiring. Those but connectors can be cheesy. Welcome to the forum. let us know what you find. There is another thing to check the wire to the plug. Plug porcelain could be cracked. let us know. Make sure you have a steady drip of gas going to the carb. It don't have to drip much think 100 plus miles to the gallon. Just start going over the simple stuff.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you've never ridden one before, you might not know how to start it the first time, so here ya go:

make sure the gas is on at the tank and the carb. there's two petcocks and the handles should point in the direction of the fuel flow.

next, pull the choke lever on the carb all the way up.

push the tickler button on the carb a couple times to prime it.

then pedal yer a$$ off and drop the clutch. keep pedaling, and hopefully it'll sputter to life. if it does, give it some gas and ride away. when it starts sputtering again, lower the lever on the choke so it's off.

if you know all this, i'm not trying to make you look stupid, but you'd be surprised at the number of people who think it should just fire right up nice and easy-like...:)

HiddenRose

Jul 1, 2010
Orlando
I took it to class with me and the guys helped me get it started by giving the back tire a good spin when the clutch is out and it started to idle. But that still doesn't solve the problem with the chain falling off from the motor

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
that's a classic problem. you need to make sure your chain is tensioned properly (about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of slack,) that your sprocket is centered and doesn't wobble, and you probably have to bend the tensioner a little to get it in line with the chain.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i guess you should just give up then. :)

obviously, there is something you can do, you just haven't figured it out yet.

give us some more info. is your chain too loose? did you read my previous reply and make sure that everything i said to check is correct on your bike?

there's a ton of people who've all had the same problem, and eventually they get it working, so can you.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Doesn't matte what I do the chain always falls off either on the big sprocket or the sprocket on the motor
Unless the engine is already ripped to shreds, (the area around the engine sprocket), it is impossible for the chain to jump off of the engine sprocket!

Jim

i guess you should just give up then. :)

obviously, there is something you can do, you just haven't figured it out yet.

give us some more info. is your chain too loose? did you read my previous reply and make sure that everything i said to check is correct on your bike?

there's a ton of people who've all had the same problem, and eventually they get it working, so can you.
Yes...

Jim

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Where is the chain coming off??? At the rear? If so remove the rear sprocket and bevel BOTH sides of the sprocket teeth just a little so the teeth are NOT squared off. There shouldn't be a front sprocket problem as it is encased with the cover, but if it is do the same.

aquarianmonkey

Sep 27, 2009
sedona Az.
What is the Torque specs for a 66cc eng.? Hey I hope I can get input. What is the right torque. i get all from hand tight to 8 ft lbs. DO NOT USE * FT. LBS. I warped my head and had to Fix it don't ask. I ended up tightening it to 25 in. lbs and adjust tighten going down a hill till it caught an ran and didn't have comp. leak. will wait till morning to re check. Yes it's Crude but hey I did 5 miles after it ran. Let it sit 1 hr and it started right up. I know I will have probs from it so have new base and head gasket coming for a redo. So what is the damn torque specs for a 66cc?

aquarianmonkey

Sep 27, 2009
sedona Az.
I forgot to mention I ported the **** out of this thing but didn't Balance :( Don't half ass if you Port them you need to Balance What I have now when it runs? I have the old eng. on the flats at half throttle and the same going up hill at full throttle so I am happy but with out the Balance that new breather is just the same just not slower. I did gain about 9mph but the Revs beat the out you oh well next one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
What is the Torque specs for a 66cc eng.? Hey I hope I can get input. What is the right torque. i get all from hand tight to 8 ft lbs. DO NOT USE * FT. LBS. I warped my head and had to Fix it don't ask. I ended up tightening it to 25 in. lbs and adjust tighten going down a hill till it caught an ran and didn't have comp. leak. will wait till morning to re check. Yes it's Crude but hey I did 5 miles after it ran. Let it sit 1 hr and it started right up. I know I will have probs from it so have new base and head gasket coming for a redo. So what is the damn torque specs for a 66cc?
First off I replace all studs from the cheap, will stretch Chinese junk. I use Metric grade 8.8 which is about a US grade 5. (buy all thread and cut to length) The torque specifications here are what the cast aluminum can bear NOT what the stud can. Anything over a 8.8 is over kill. 6mm studs are to be torqued from 50 to 70 inch pounds, and 8mm from 150 to 204 inch pounds. Every head needs to be milled coming out of the box..none are true. This can be done using a window or a sheet of glass (I use a window as I have self stick DA sand paper. Rotate head surface on the paper till the finish is smooth, nothing more. By the way converting from foot pounds to inch multiply by 12, going the other way divide by 12. I use 50 inch pounds and 150 inch pounds, double nut and or use nylon self locking nuts. I have not had to re torque at all when checking. Also use lock tite on studs...not to be used on bolts. Also I use copper kote on ALL metal head gaskets, comes in a spray can. Spray each side twice with drying time in between.

Last edited:

Megarider

May 31, 2010
IL
I have the same problem. My motor was working in the past, but now it just sputters. I double checked the wiring and I have a good fuel mix. (the bike has been broken in) Any suggestions would be great.