Lets go fast & turn left

GoldenMotor.com

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Hello,
This is a post of a very quick & dirty throw together bike for the june 5th race in Ohio. I started the chopping of old Huffy 24" girls mountain bikes (all curb side pickups) on May 5th. Lets see if the photo works or I am still too new here:

HEY IT worked!
A few hours later & you end up with this:

after adding some electrics & a battery box I am here:

a better view of the the thing....no beauty contest winner.

I have been hamstrung by my online tire suplier....1st order was sent with 26" tires...no fit the bike so good.....& just confirmed that the replacments shipped today....for a friday delivery....time is short.

I don't know how many of you guys follow our ellectric bike exploits over at Endles sphere, but there is a much more detaild build log there. If your at the race drop by & say Hello. I am sure the bike is recognizable.
Thanks for looking, Thud.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That front wheel should really dig in...but I am not sure how you are going to turn with no handlebars, and I don't even want to guess about the seat post.

What kind of electric power are you gonna use?

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
Cool stuff! I'm not sure about seat tough (subjective opinion , regarding my ...). Very clean looking (maybe a few stickers on the flat surfaces would be interesting...).
BTW , rear wheel sprocket (huge transparent thing) is made of ...? Maybe polycarbonate?

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Yes sir,
Polycarbonate 121 tooth (about to be 131tooth) Definatly need some decals on it to "race" it up some. I am working on that.... I hope my race tires show up friday morning......I am working on a 2nd bike for the event right now (playing hooky from work shhhhhh.)

The seat?.....Im not crazy about the look either, but it is functional & allows mw some mobility on the bike. I will be getting sideways on this one in Carrothers.:)

a better look at my "ghost" sprocket:

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
man that is to rad! does that big gear freewheel? how do you go about fitting 2 freewheels on one hub?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Thud,
I hadn't seen this thread until now, but I sure saw the bike! Too bad we got rained out in Ohio, but hopefully next year will work out better. I'm interested to hear how things are going with the bike now and what else you're working on. Very cool bike, my friend.
SB

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Hey Silverbear,
I have had a little luck with the bike. Been clocked at 44mph so far. But I am still blowing electronicts pushing the envelop. I was out to shoot video when I cooked the lastest speed controller.(its out to be repaired by the maker) but overall I am a bit tired of trying to get the performance I am searching for. I have designed another gearbox set up that should take quite a bit of strain off the electronics. I will start that soon & start a build thread for that here.
Say Hello to Mush for me.

Dash, yes the big sprocket freewheels. It is a custom adapter (home made) that bolts onto a standard bmx freewheel with another threaded section to add a second freewheel to the pedals. (not a fan of freewheel cranks) The whole project is home made come to think of it LOL. I have access to large cnc equipmet so I am quite spoiled when it comes to prototyping parts.
Here is a great tutorial for getting twin freewheels:
Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Mounting TWO freewheels on one rear wheel hub

I have another build started & will post up when I have something worth showing. Been actually riding my pedal bike a lot lately....Bought a morini S5-GS last weekend....I know I can make that run.
catch ya later. T

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey Thud, that is the biggest toothed sprocket I have ever seen....on anything! It's bigger than the front chainring that John Tomac used in the Kamikazi downhill at Mammoth Mt. in 1990! That's huge and lookin' good!