Video of mostly scratch built high power E-trike.

GoldenMotor.com

Recumpence

Aug 30, 2009
Illinois
Here is a video of my latest E-trike. I know many people will ask "Why so much power?". Hmm, my answer is------ Why not?!

Anyway, this trike started life as a KMX Typhoon. The frame was cut apart, widened, lengthened, lowered, braced, etc. It is running 203mm rotors with 4 piston Hope calipers. The power system is 28hp of brushless, lithium goodness. AUW is 105 pounds.

Listen to the rear tire temp I mention at the end of the video (bear in mind it was 45 degrees outside when I shot this video).

YouTube - Extremely high power E-bike tadpole trike

Enjoy!

Matt

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think it is about the coolest one I have seen. And cars have trouble with just regular ebikes. they see a bike coming at them from the side and figure they have all the time in the world so they pull right out in front of me.

Recumpence

Aug 30, 2009
Illinois
I agree it is tough to see me on this thing. But, I just drive like I am totally invisible. I expect cars to pull out in front of me. No biggie.

It is good for 35 miles on a typical charge. It is running two hand made motors that were made for me by Astro Flight in CA. They run 14,200 rpm at 48 volts. The pack is good for 800 amps (48 volts) continuous. It can burst 2,000 amps. In that video, the motors are drawing nearly 300 amps each for a total of 600 amps. The harness is comprised of 6 runs of fine strand 10 guage wire. The motor wires actually get warm under load, but the motors and controllers do not get very hot. They stay under 120 degrees most of the time.

Oh, the controllers for this thing are smaller than a cell phone.

You gotta love RC stuff.

Matt

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
Could we see close up pics of the motor/bike?

Is there any recumbent drag racing in your area :D

Regards
Tom