Installing a Sprocket on a Chopper

GoldenMotor.com

therockwall

Jun 7, 2008
I have a Sting Ray e chopper that I want to install a GAS engine on, How would anyone go about installing a sprocket with the electric built into the rear hub?

I want to keep the Electric system and have a Hyrid bike. (c)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Not sure I understand the question. You have an electric hub on it now. You want to put an electric hub on it and a gasoline engine kit. Or you just want to install a gasoline kit.

If it is the latter you just need to buy the special mounting kit on ebay then use the regular kit. I think.

for the other two I have no idea.

therockwall

Jun 7, 2008
Their is a electric hub installed already and I would like to attach a sprocket to the wheel spokes or the hub itself. May not to do what I want to but need advice. It is a Schwinn StingRay Electric. I have looked at it and thought about going to the front wheel but don't want to do that. I am thinking of mounting the engine above the rear wheel and running the chain down to the sprocket. Open to any ideas.

Thanks, Jim (c)

therockwall

Jun 7, 2008
I don't understand how you intend to use a jackshaft when you don't have a sproket to drive the wheel. The bike already has an electric hub motor on the rear wheel, I want to add a sproket so I can power the rear wheel when I don't run the electric motor. This way I will have a hybrid bike, 3 way peddle/ electric/ gas.
Any ideas will help.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
You've got a hub motor....I assume it also has pedals with a chain going to their own sprocket on the rear?

The jackshaft uses your existing chain and sprocket setup (for the pedals) to get the power from the motor to the wheel. So if you've got pedals and you use the jackshaft kit, there is no need for a new sprocket on the rear wheel. make sense?

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hmmmm....I'm not too familiar with the bike....do you have any pics you could post?....I take it the standard 9 Hole mount will not work because the hub is too big?

Andrew

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Please post pics so we can see what your dealing with. Could you relace your electric hub into the front wheel and run a standard wheel on the rear for easier mounting? Just a thought...Kelly

That would make it a three way hybrid with two wheel drive and that's one funky but chic idea.

therockwall

Jun 7, 2008
Here are some photos or my chopper, as you can see the hub is too large on the rear to install a sproket. Still trying to come up wit someway.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
No, I don't see :confused:

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/how-post-pictures-61.html

Toward the end of this thread the members really helped me learn how to post pic's

http://motorbicycling.com/f28/post-more-pictures-916.html

To use attachment:

When posting scroll down to "Additional Options"

Click on "Manage Attachements"

A window will open up

Upload a pic from your computer by clicking "Browse" then click "Upload"

Or enter the URL and then click "upload"

If you did this, and your pic's did not come out....they are most likely over sized and you must make them smaller.
:ride2:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Are there threads that I see here?? On quads for the rear axle they have really thin axle nut's....is it possible to mount sprocket here and use some axle nut's to mount it :confused: Don't know too much about E-hub's :(

therockwall

Jun 7, 2008
I don't know if that would work and I thought of that also. I guess that I need to see a breakdown and operation of that drive hub, will have to do some reasearch on it.
The hub is only 250 watt 24volt and runs about 14mph, would like to have a little more speed and range.

Jim

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Fairracing I Wll Pay For The Beer If You Want To Take One Over To Poor Old Moto Man, In The Heat All Day Long !! :( Keep Posting The Good Web Sites, Chains, Cables Etc, Good Timing For Me . :ride2: Later Ron

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Looks like a big hub....What material is it made of?....I wonder if some "studs" for a 9 hole mount sprocket could be welded to it then simply use washers to space out a sprocket and bolt it directly to the large hub....

Just a thought,,,,Good luck!

Andrew