Carb pooring out gas

GoldenMotor.com

reptile_spot

Oct 10, 2009
Earth

Not sure what is making this happen the bikes been running great for awhile. But I hit a bump a few days ago. It seemed to be doing fine but got home and noticed my gas tank was totally empty and the engine and chain was covered in oil. Filled it up and seen the gas is pooring out the carb nearly as fast as I poor it in. I've taken the carb off cleaned it then it ran well for about 2 blocks then sputtered out. Thing was pooring out gas again. Adjusted the fuel flow from the tank and on the carb in to try and compensate but there is no in between it seems. *Opened to 1/2 or full it will spew out gas. I've got a way to get it to run for a few minutes at a time by starting the engine with the gas totaly off then opening it once its moving. It won't leak and flood out for about 2-3 blocks. Then it starts choking and sputters out pooring gas all over.

After looking threw the forums for awhile I wasn't able to find any post with this problem so I figured I would toss up a thread and ask if anyone has any idea on what might fix it. I know there are some little metal risers in the carb I could bend that might fix the leak but I want to ask and make sure before I do anything like that.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Your carb float is probably out of adjustment or you got some trash in your needle and seat valve. Do you have a fuel filter between you tank and carb?????????

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup, probably stuck float. or broken float. or adjusted wrong float.

and with the gas off and it still leaks, your carb petcock might be messed up. what about the one on the tank? if you turn that off, does it still leak?

and one more tip. flashy pictures are kinda annoying. trying to focus on your bike to check obvious problems is no fun when the pics keep changing...

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
look like you guys got it covered, wrong float adjustment, sticking float needle or full of trash,or the float that has turned into the Titanic.

reptile_spot

Oct 10, 2009
Earth
Yeah, I've got a fuel filter in the line. I'll try taking it apart here soon and see if there is a crack in the float or anything obstructing it.

On another note. The air filter is a very tight fit on this bikes frame "that's why its just a filter and 2 screws in the pic". Could someone post where to get a shorter intake?

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
I have extended intakes and cut them short aswell to fit depending on what people want. The best thing to do is make one , make friends with someone who has a welder its a 2 min fix.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I will have to adress a frame interferance problem shortly. I am all set except the throttle cable housing will hit the horizontal frame member. May I see a couple pics of off setting the carb. Ultimately that will be my solution either by a short length of hose or fabricating an angled intake manifold. I don't want to re-invent the wheel if it has been solved and done befor. Thanks. A couple pics will help me out allot.

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
Her you go I paint them after I make them so they may be hard to see, also had I have known I was going to send pics out I would have taken close _ups. Sorry. These are a couple of early attemps, I have made them better and I find it works and looks better on the right side and behid the seat, but these were the only 2 I had saved. Sorry, hope they give you an idea.
Thanks

Attachments

reptile_spot

Oct 10, 2009
Earth
Here are some pics. My camera is acting up so only have a few that are not all blurred up. You can see there is about 1mm gap from the top of the carb to the frame and I have the cable drilled threw the frame. The Plastic is touching the frame. I a plastic cover to fit to the frame. BTW thanks on the quick replies everyone!

I will have to adress a frame interferance problem shortly. I am all set except the throttle cable housing will hit the horizontal frame member. May I see a couple pics of off setting the carb. Ultimately that will be my solution either by a short length of hose or fabricating an angled intake manifold. I don't want to re-invent the wheel if it has been solved and done befor. Thanks. A couple pics will help me out allot.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
a couple photos of my off set intake

my offset intake is short, fits in tight frames
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
$30.00 they are kind of expensive it take the longest time to make the flange. I machine the nipple to fit the carb as well make it fit better. I include 2 socket head cap screws(allen wrench headed bolts) and a couple of gaskets.
Shipping is $5.00 it will go first class USPS mail.
I can't tell if your carb has a fuel bowl drain on it if it does I will need to make allowances for it.

Last edited:

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Thanks for the pics! Those are all viable solutions to my problem. I guess I have some thinking to do but I like that tight offset intake idea, and it is the direction I have been leaning towards. Just had my modified frame welding done today and finger tightened the motor down. Happy with fit except the throttle issue.

Sorry to destract the thread, I will step aside. Thanks guys!

Attachments

reptile_spot

Oct 10, 2009
Earth
Here is a pic of the other side. To help get an idea on intake. I def need to put the plastic cover back on the filter I out why my carb keeps screwing up. Tiny bits of blow sand keep getting into it and sticking to the walls inside and making everything stick. I'll def buy one of those intakes Norman. I sent you a PM.

Last edited:

reptile_spot

Oct 10, 2009
Earth
That's a good idea. Kind of like my old dirt bike. Going to have to find a old lawn mower filter box or something. Thanks for the post! I'll give it a shot once I get the new intake.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Solution near at hand. I picked up a 45 degree copper plumbing elbow today that is nearly made to order. I will need to knock out a simple nipple on the speed lathe to clamp the carb onto. I plan to shorten the kit intake, slip the fitting over it (with silicone and clamp, insert and braze the fabricated nipple, and attach carb. The fit is very close. Do I have a shot at brazing copper to the pot metal kit intake?

Attachments