1957 western flyer motorized bike project

GoldenMotor.com

Magnarider66

Aug 1, 2009
Florida
hey everyone.im in the process of restoring a 1957 western flyer so i can make a MB out of it.its nice but i think im going to have a problem with the brakes.it has the stupid back brakes and i might not be able to mount the sprocket.any ideas?i want to use the rim but i would like it to be a coaster whell with out putting money into it.thanks for the help..cs.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Some require little or no modification.
Those that do can be dealt with in about 15 minutes.
Check the search box for coaster brake mods or dust cap mod.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup. do a search for "coaster brake conversion." ACS made one in the 70's. you can find them on ebay. it'll still be a single speed, though.

you could just get a new wheel with whatever hub you want. might be the way to go anyway, because a 50 year old, rusty wheel might not hold up too well with a motor.

try bikepartsusa.com.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
is there a way to make it like a freestyle wheel like on a mountain bike?:-||
Why would you want to? Does the brake not work? Lots of us have motorbicycles with coaster brakes. It would be good if you sent pictures of what you're up to and your reasons for thinking the coaster brake setup is a problem. If you don't have a coaster brake in back, what will you have to replace it?
SB

Magnarider66

Aug 1, 2009
Florida
yup. do a search for "coaster brake conversion." ACS made one in the 70's. you can find them on ebay. it'll still be a single speed, though.

you could just get a new wheel with whatever hub you want. might be the way to go anyway, because a 50 year old, rusty wheel might not hold up too well with a motor.

try bikepartsusa.com.
the thing is its not rusty.but i just now realized that its slightly bent so ill have to get a new rim.thanks for all the help guys.ill have some pics up when im done restoring the bike.
LIVE HARD.RIDE HARD!!!!!rmfla

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
truing a wheel is to make it spin "true." straight, basically. it's not that hard, if you know what you're doing. but it's a good way to make it much worse if you mess it up. you tighten and loosen spokes in order to pull the wheel from side to side.

it might be better to have a bike shop do it for you.

here's a link to show you what's up... Park Tool Website