WTB: old,old,old bikes

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
...is the eBay auction number for a very nice 58 Schwinn American step through bike... looks to be in nice shape... this is the same basic model as my American Flyers, so there is plenty of room for a HT motor. Nice seat, red paint in pretty nice condition, wheels look good... this bike has not be beaten. About $50.00 with one bid and another $50 to ship it. This could be a very sharp build. Auction ends in seven hours.
This bike was made in Chicago and everything on it was made in the USA... which is why they called it the American. Strong frame, good welds. I have over a thousand miles on my blue one with no signs of frame problems at all and I weigh 200 pounds. One thing to consider about a step through as a candidate for a motorbicycle is how low the engine will sit in the frame. Most step through models now have the upper curved cross bar too high up which puts the motor in your lap, just about. These old Schwinn step through models had that upper curved cross bar really low which not only looks good, but puts the engine low where it needs to be. In all the old bikes we've been talking about, never forget the older Schwinns. They made some wonderful bicycles. I wish the company had never been sold. It is Chinese now. No more pride in saying "Made In Chicago". I hope this bike gives you another idea on a possible build.
Silverbear

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Vintage Schwinn Bicycle
SCHWINN LADIES RACER
VINTAGE WESTERN FLYER

Whats the diff between that ebay bike and these craig'list bike. I get them quicker and cheaper.....

Now here are some more pricey ones but want your opion.....

Vintage 1950s rollfast ratrod
Vintage 1950's Ratrod Bicycle
(note: what i like about those last two is that they are mens......)
vintage 1960's sears cruiser bicycle
vintage sears spaceliner bicycle
vintage original jc higgins bicycle
vintage 1960's schwinn breeze
(I could probally have him go down a bit :dance1:

I contacted th eowner of this one they are still deciding how low they will go:
Schwinn Rolling Rock Bike
I was thinking going Board track on this bad boy :)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Vintage Schwinn Bicycle
SCHWINN LADIES RACER
VINTAGE WESTERN FLYER

Whats the diff between that ebay bike and these craig'list bike. I get them quicker and cheaper.....

Now here are some more pricey ones but want your opion.....

Vintage 1950s rollfast ratrod
Vintage 1950's Ratrod Bicycle
(note: what i like about those last two is that they are mens......)
vintage 1960's sears cruiser bicycle
vintage sears spaceliner bicycle
vintage original jc higgins bicycle
vintage 1960's schwinn breeze
(I could probally have him go down a bit :dance1:

I contacted th eowner of this one they are still deciding how low they will go:
Schwinn Rolling Rock Bike
I was thinking going Board track on this bad boy :)
OK, there are some good possibilities here. The rolling rock (a kind of beer that comes in a green bottle) is like a new bike. Find out when it was made, as it may be a reproduction, which is still OK depending on when it was made. If it is US made, then good. It is worth the money as your wheels won't need to be replaced, etc. You won't have to go back and replace what is bad. Cool bike. Forget about the ladies racer and the Schwinn breeze, both lightweight skinny tire bikes. Also the three speed is going to be skinny tire. The rat rod bikes are good possibilities as are the 1950's bikes. Ask what size the tires are. You want 2.125 if possible, unless you really like the bike and it is older with a strong frame I would not go with a real skiny rim. Some of those bikes are pretty rough, so ask yourself if you want to build one from frame up or buy a cool bike, stick a motor in it and ride. Either way is good, depending on what you want.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Another thing to consider when pricing a bike. Do you have a dead parts department to draw from or are you going to be buying everything you need? New balloon tire fenders are about fifty bucks, a new seat isn't free, if you like a rear rack and don't have one, that costs, too. Materials and time stripping paint and repainting. Wheels can get pricey when you figure in having them either repaired or replaced, new tires and tubes. Add it up and the bike that costs more initially may end up costing less than one you have to replace half of. I'm speaking from experience here.
Silverbear

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
The Rolling rock looks to be from the late 80s maybe early 70's. They had 1950 versions, but this one dosent look like any of them. I saw a pic of a 1970-80's one and it resembled it greatly. I know how m uch wheel and seats abd paint can cost, not trieing to be rude :)

Here is one that they "claim" is older but looks fairly new to me, late 90's or 2005?
western flyer bicycle- trade - cash?
I REALLY wnat the Rolling rock, but sice i am in another project, I might just wait until I am finished, there is bound to be more bikes.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The Rolling rock looks to be from the late 80s maybe early 70's. They had 1950 versions, but this one dosent look like any of them. I saw a pic of a 1970-80's one and it resembled it greatly. I know how m uch wheel and seats abd paint can cost, not trieing to be rude :)

Here is one that they "claim" is older but looks fairly new to me, late 90's or 2005?
western flyer bicycle- trade - cash?
I REALLY wnat the Rolling rock, but sice i am in another project, I might just wait until I am finished, there is bound to be more bikes.
You're probably right about the rolling rock. I don't know, that western flyer looks awfully good to me and for 75.00 bucks that's a steal. I'd think hard about that one. It would look great with the HT motor and put a low tank on the rear rack. Looks can be deceiving, especially with step through bikes. Generally the girls weren't as hard on bicycles as boys were. If it was his grandma's bike and she took care of it, kept it in a garage it could be the real deal. You might google Western Flyer to see when they stopped being made. I think it has been a good while, but could be wrong. That would be a cool bike. It has just stopped raining, the sun broke through the clouds and I'm outa here! Good luck.

Silverbear

jdmpunk

May 4, 2009
ohio
look up camlifter on the site he has several vintage bikes at his disposal check out our site acmemotorbikes.com

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I have a Dayton Superb made by the Dayton bicycle company of London England just waiting for an engine.
I like the vee with two rear vees.
I love a brazed steel frame with lugs.

Maybe a happytime with a shift kit.