Rain proofing a Currie 2009 Electro Drive Kit?

GoldenMotor.com

sermann

May 16, 2009
Switzerland
Hi,

I am going to assemble my first electrically assisted bike next weekend (if the parts get there in time) and was wondering if I should rain proof it?

The bike will be parked in a dry place but I ride by any almost any weather, including under heavy rain or snow.

It’s a Currie 2009 Electro Drive kit. I don’t think I will need to protect the motor much, as it will get hot enough to keep dry, but am not sure about the rest.

Any tips?

Cheers,

Stephen

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm thinking silicone caulk for the seams and other openings in the controller and any connections that are exposed. That's about all I can think of. Seal up your battery box....

Did you buy one of the curry kits?

sermann

May 16, 2009
Switzerland
I'm thinking silicone caulk for the seams and other openings in the controller and any connections that are exposed. That's about all I can think of. Seal up your battery box....

Did you buy one of the curry kits?
Hello Deacon,

Yes, I've ordered the kit, will be delivered this week, hopefully...

I was thinking about covering the power switch and battery charging port with heavy transparent foil, sealing the controller and motor power cord hole with caulk.

I don't really know what to do with the throttle...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
caulk where the wires go into it is all i would do. That is a pretty low voltage circuit I think. Probably isn't necessary at all but a little bit of caulk is cheap insurance.

Let me know how that kit works out. I am really curious about it.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Hello Deacon,

Yes, I've ordered the kit, will be delivered this week, hopefully...

I was thinking about covering the power switch and battery charging port with heavy transparent foil, sealing the controller and motor power cord hole with caulk.

I don't really know what to do with the throttle...
hello sermann

I was thinking about the same thing.
The plan I have come up with is to make a 1 piece mitt/gauntlet type
of thing that would be taped onto the handle bars on the inner side of the
throttle.You could roll it inward towards the bars when the weather is good,
and when it is bad simply roll it right over your hand and throttle. Maybe something
like the arm (sleeve) off of an old nylon rain jacket...POPS

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
The parts look the same as my e-zip. I have a large milk crate like basket with a solid bottom over the rack. I've been caught in the rain a couple of times, without incident. And when I 1st got it before I put he the basket on it. I lived in a 2nd floor apt. I forgot to put the tarp on it and a torrential downpour came. I opened up the control box. It had maybe a teaspoon of water in it.

The batt boxes are sealed pretty good from the factory, plus they are Sealed Lead Acid batteries. I've had a lot of mud and crud on them. When I opened the box up. Clean as a whistle. I've got a lot on hard miles on mine without any weather related problems. The basket is the only weather proofing measure I took. I knew that that some day I would have to open things up and I didn't want the junk in my way.

Where did you get yours? The only place I've seen them is the Currie site and they want the same $ as wally does for whole bike.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
I have the Currie geared motor rig and regularly wash it down with Simple Green and a strong spray of water to wash off our notorious red dirt. One reason why I hates riding, here, when it rains. The directed water has never affected the motor's performance.

To keep most of the rain off my controller and connectors, I have it mounted
at the very front of my rear bike rack which places it pretty much under the seat. I do have fenders so it does keep water from spraying up under there. So far, so good, but I do have to reseal the controller. The silicone sealant is starting to peal off and now has a hole.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
The kit will come with a back rack that your bat. will fit in.The controller fits in the top.It has a plate with 4 screws that covers the wires.Lift out the controller and seal the seams and hole where the wires come out of it,after it dryes put a gasket under the top.Your good to go.HD