Parts?

GoldenMotor.com

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
I'd like to build a couple more bikes in the same configuration as mine, but can't seem to find the freewheel hub for the rear wheel. I can find the mount, motor, harness, controller and throttle, but no freewheel hub. Anyone know where I can get one?

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Hoi Deacon! From the looks of it and after much searching, I've come to the conclusion that it's simply a 21T or 22T BMX or single speed freewheel. Most are 14T to 21T, but there are the few with 22. Prices range from under $10 to over $80. The thing is, they're out there and can be had and can probably be found at your nearby bike shop. dance1

Check out Freewheel +++ Best Bike Prices from QBike.com to see what they are.

Now to start getting that list of parts going. .elec.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
Your bike may not be an E-zip per say, it could have been a Currie USPD kit or something. The motor cost $100 the batteries cost $80 for a set, and Currie quoted me like $50-60 for the rear rim with the left hand freewheel. And by time you get the controller, little button that kills the power when you hit the brake and all that stuff. Not to mention the aggravation and time to sort it all out.

scratg

You could have just bought one of these for $300: Walmart.com: E-Zip 2008 Mountain Trailz Hybrid Electric Bike: Bikes, Scooters & Skates I paid $400 when I got mine.

All the electric components can be found here: *ElectricScooterParts.com - Visit the Electric Scooter Parts store.

.elec.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Your bike may not be an E-zip per say, it could have been a Currie USPD kit or something. The motor cost $100 the batteries cost $80 for a set, and Currie quoted me like $50-60 for the rear rim with the left hand freewheel. And by time you get the controller, little button that kills the power when you hit the brake and all that stuff. Not to mention the aggravation and time to sort it all out.

scratg

You could have just bought one of these for $300: Walmart.com: E-Zip 2008 Mountain Trailz Hybrid Electric Bike: Bikes, Scooters & Skates I paid $400 when I got mine.

All the electric components can be found here: *ElectricScooterParts.com - Visit the Electric Scooter Parts store.

.elec.
I was looking at TNC that Deacon pointed out. TNC Scooters (Scooter Sales and Service)

They got some pretty decent pricing on just about everything I'll need.
Only thing is I didn't even think about the freewheel being on different sides. I'm going to ask my local bike shop if it can be switched around or if they can order left side freewheels. It's gotta be something simple.

I really don't know which kit I have since I bought it already installed on a Next mountain bike. None of the mentioned companies uses this bike and the kit seems to be no longer available. Couldn't find it on the Currie site.
That's okay, though. Since I found sources for whatever I need, a kit is no longer necessary. I won't even have to hassle with all the wiring, since all that's pretty much available as well. Only thing is I may have to lengthen wires depending on the application. If all else fails, I already have a set I can clone. :) Btw, part of the harness is made up of a computer power cord and receptacle. :D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
When you get it under way how about some pictures with directions. I really would love a do it yourself e chain drive kit. One that isn't 400 bucks

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
Unfortunately Currie doesn't sell the USPD kits anymore only complete bikes. If you don't like any of the frames they offer you can move everything over to one you do. It would require a little welding. There is a tab ( guess you'd call it) on the chain stay that the mounting plate attach's to.
A year or so ago I was researching LH freewheels. I think this was the best site I came up with. Staton-Inc motorized bicycles, bike kits & gear drive kits. There could be better.

I must have been dreaming or somthing because I could have swore I saw an E-zip call the "urban cruiser". It was jst what it sounds like, an e-zip with a cruiser like frame. It was just the other day now I can't find it. Not a dream just found it. But the price is a nightmare!! Amazon.com: IZIP URBAN CRUISER Electric Bike: Sports & Outdoors

veloman at the site which must not be named did a good DIY elec chain drive kit.

Looks like the some prices are better at TNC.

You only need a freewheel with the Currie motors because of the internal gear reduction. All geared motors need a freewheel. veloman used a rear sprocket similar to the Chinese kits. But the teeth was different than the Chinese kits to match the motor sprocket teeth.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Hoi Ozzy, thanks for your input. Yeah, the ebike prices are getting up there and it seems there are only hub kits being offered. It's the reason why I decided to put my own kits together for my family's bikes. (^) For me, being way out here, it's more affordable.

I'm not up to par on gearing yet, but I understand the need for the freewheel with a geared motor from setting this rig up. Darned thang only turns one way. So does that mean I can run a chain drive to a static sprocket, like the 2 stroke kits, from a direct drive motor? That would open up more possibilities, yes?...like cheaper motors. :)

Hey Deacon. Just so happens I gotta go to the hardware store to order a countertop today. The bike shop is in the same parking lot so I'll be stopping in to ask about installing a lefthand freewheel. Will post their response later.

Btw, took the bike out for it's first commute today. I got a good laugh as there's one hill I hit 20 mph and the motor refused to kick in until I was part way up the other side and had to start pedaling. With pedal assist, I managed 15 mph up that hill.

On the way home, I threw the chain a block from work while shifting for pedaling on the flat. I had to motor it the rest of the way. Hit that hill and it managed to go 7 mph with no pedal assist. Got home and had plenty of juice to spare. Prompty put the battery on the charger and found out the chain came off because the highest gear was way out of alignment with the front sprocket. The rear wheel and cassette is from another bike. So I readjusted the derailleur so it eliminated that gear. Tadaaa. No problemo now. .ride7a

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I ran a test bike with a bolt on sprocket from a motor bike kit. It worked just fine except I kept throwing the chain for some reason. I was not using a geared motor though just a scooter motor.

What I think would be cool would be to mount a coaster brake wheel on the front of a bike and then an emotor onto the axle and fork where the brake would attach. Then run a chain from the motor to the coaster brake wheel.

You would have a nice front wheel drive with a free wheel already there.. I think i will do that. I have been looking for a new project.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I had a front fork from a 20" bike laying around... and I had a rear coaster wheel from a 20" bike laying around. So I ran down to the shop and guess what they will fit just fine.

Now tell me will that geared motor run either direction or only one. If only one which direction clockwise or counter clockwise....

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
I ran a test bike with a bolt on sprocket from a motor bike kit. It worked just fine except I kept throwing the chain for some reason. I was not using a geared motor though just a scooter motor.

What I think would be cool would be to mount a coaster brake wheel on the front of a bike and then an emotor onto the axle and fork where the brake would attach. Then run a chain from the motor to the coaster brake wheel.

You would have a nice front wheel drive with a free wheel already there.. I think i will do that. I have been looking for a new project.
Well, that may very well be a good project to try, Deacon. I struck out at the bike shop today. Lefthand freewheels are available, but no larger than 16T. The owner suspects it may be a freewheel off a tandem bike where the front chain is on the right and the rear is on the left.
I asked about the lefthand freewheels he did stock and he said that some of these BMX'ers like to run their chains on the left side of the bike. As you can guess, noone uses anything bigger than the 16T.

I may give it up and try running a bolt on sprocket and a direct drive motor instead. Parts are way easier to find that way. ;) maybe even trying that front motor idea as well. Get a bunch trying it out and swap info. (^) Btw, the bike shop owner did say he could get 22T right hand freewheels. Said it would run around $25 and cost a couple bucks to remove the smaller and install the larger. For a front wheel project, that may be a way to go. But like I mentioned on another thread, I'm not up to par on gearing and all the physics that go with it. I hated math.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Me to.... so which way does the motor turn clockwise or counter and will it run backwards....

I have done this so I know it can be done without doing too much damage. I can weld a crank set chain ring from a kids bike to the sprocket on a coaster wheel. That might give enough change ratio to slow a non geared motor down.

First I need to decide what to do lol... with that in mind they sell sprockets for scooters that could be welded to the sprocket of a coaster bike wheel. Then you use a scooter motor and its sprocket and chain. You would know the gearing was close because it had been on the scooter. The larger bike wheel would give it more speed and less torgue though. Which might not be such a bad thing.

If you did that all the parts could be bought from tnc,,..I think i would like to try the geared motor first.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my 300watt currie motor will run either direction,if i reverse the wires it goes in reverse.
i have a 16" x 2.125" rearwheel and tire that im not using,it has a peddal sprocket and drive sprocket on the other side.i might sell it.they do sell them at on websites that sells scooter parts.