Single drive chain

GoldenMotor.com

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
I'm sure I'm not using the right terminology because I keep running into dead ends searching for this.

What I'm looking to do is for the motor to just use the right side drive chain like a normal bike to power the rear wheel. I do not want to mount the additional left side sprocket on to the rear wheel.

Can anyone point me to ways of doing that please?

I'm sure you could use the crank pedal as sort of a jack shaft. Will the typical crank pedal bearings be good enough to be under that type of load?

I don't need to keep the pedals either. I could simply use foot pegs. If I want exercise I'll get on my pedal bike. :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There is an aftermarket device known as a 'shift kit' which is essentially a jackshaft that transmits engine power to a special crank sprocket then in turn to the rear wheel. They are designed to work in conjunction with the bike's gear changing system and eliminate the need for a left side sprocket.
Use the search feature, type in 'shift kit' and you'll have plenty to read on the subject.

Just a word about Colorado and pedals. If you remove the pedals your bike will then be viewed as a motorcycle, not a motor assisted bicycle and will fall under motorcycle laws requiring registration, insurance, road lighting, etc. Leave the pedals on.

Tom

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Thanks for the info Tom.

Regarding the removing pedal thing, the only difference between a low power scooter vs. a motorized bike is having or not having pedals right.

If that is the case then based on this web site, http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/CL...414110487257537001BBD1D?Open&file=1026_01.pdf the bike would fall under what is called a low power scooter. Here is a brief summary of the document. http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic15246.html

Bottom line is from what I get, low powered scooters are 2 wheel bikes that do not have pedals and don't exceed speeds of 40mph.

So again, like anything that pertains to government it's never a straight line so if there is clarification I could look into that would be great.

Thanks again Tom.