rear hub problems

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hmmm....keeps getting shredded? A lot of folks get along with standard rims from Huffy, Schwinn, etc. So a heavier duty rim sholdn't be absolutely necessary. The trouble might be somewhere else.

Shredded. Does that mean that you are breaking a lot of spokes?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Adjusted correctly with the right preload and lubricated you shouldn't be having bearing problems. Something isn't right. The engine isn't responsible I can asure you.

Tom

E.O. Alouicious

Jun 8, 2013
Portland OR
is it a coaster brake? if so sounds like you need to take the wheel into a bike shop. Sorry, without being able to see the bike, its hard to tell you what size bearing you need. I had the same problem with my build, i know what you mean by "shredding". It cost about 35 bucks to have a guy find the right bearing, install and adjust the rear hub. I spent a lot of time looking for parts to rebuild my rear wheel, but the shop down the street had the stuff laying around. Sorry i don't have a more D.I.Y solution.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Even if they weren't hippies, most bike shops' liability insurance won't allow them to work on a motorized bike. There are some shops in certain areas that have insurance that allows them to build, sell and repair motorized bicycles, but most do not. Your best bet is to learn to do as much work to your bike yourself as you can. You get the benefits of knowing exactly how the work is being done, also with the added benefit of saving money. It may take some time to learn everything, but its worth it. I've been building and riding motorbikes for 4 years now, and continued learning all things mechanical along the way. Until recently, I knew how to do everything except true my own wheels. Now that's changed. And I'm just a guy figuring things out as I go along, teaching most things to myself as I discover I want or need to learn them. I started out with no mechanical knowledge whatsoever, and have now progressed to the point where I have built my own custom bike piece by piece (except welding the frame of course). So if I can learn this stuff, then I believe anybody can. Good luck!

chaosmaker159

Aug 7, 2013
oakveiw ca
Ive done every thing my self but iam only in high school and I rebuilt tje hubs by my self because I do amuter moutain biker iam just not good with coaster brakes

E.O. Alouicious

Jun 8, 2013
Portland OR
I never knew coaster brakes were so complicated either. Bigbutterbean has the best advice though. Strange that people hate a bicycle that can go 100 miles on a gallon of gas, but a car that can go about 10 on a gallon is just fine? Would Mr. natural prefer i just drive a Hummer? Wheres the outrage for all the trucks on the road? Some people just get jealous of how awesome these bikes are. In Portland i deal with these as*holes all the time. Especially the fixed gear hipsters riding bright yellow and pink bikes wearing skin tight women's jeans.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Coaster brakes are not hard to learn. I respect the fact that you're in high school and learning something about mechanics. When you say, "I'm just not very good with coaster brakes", it sounds like defeat. And dont take this disrespectfully, as its really not meant to be. What you dont know, you really can learn. I never thought I would learn to build or true my own wheels, now I actually can. It just takes patience and practice. I learned coaster brakes by taking the hub apart, paying attention to the order, then trying to put it back together until I had it right. After that, its simply a matter of greasing it properly, adjusting the cones, and making sure the locking nut is properly tightened. I can admit to having some recent coaster brake troubles of my own, but partially due to a cheap Huffy hub from a wheel that was in pretty bad shape when I got it, and has gotten worse over time. That's why I'm switching wheels, and the main reason that I was kind of forced to learn to true my own wheels, but that's another story. The point is, you can learn and you can teach yourself how to do things, just like I did. I'm really not that smart of a person, so if I can learn this stuff, anyone can.

chaosmaker159

Aug 7, 2013
oakveiw ca
I totally agree with you on that I did take a part a couple times but rim is completey destroyed the rim beyond repair so I was going to go with a moutain bike rim and get new rims with disk brakes
Insted of coster brakes for better breaking and no offense taken I taught my self almost everything about bike except rebuild free sping rims