Tire size question....

GoldenMotor.com

Yankphan

Feb 12, 2013
Florida
Hello all, so I finished my micargi mustang build and the drive chain juuuussst touched my rear tire... It is a 26x2.125 white wall tire... I found a tire made by sunlite... The urban cruiser whitewall sized at... 26x1.75 will this fit my wheel ? Yhanks for your time... I think the narrow tire will solve the problem.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
You can always dish the rear wheel. Its very easy to do and costs nothing, I have done it on more than one build and had great results with it.

Yankphan

Feb 12, 2013
Florida
I'm assuming I can cut down the teeth on the original sprocket and add a fiber washer then a new sprocket on top of the original.... Then, bolt it all together.... Just so the chain will clear the original sprocket ..... Do you think this will work ?

Yankphan

Feb 12, 2013
Florida
If I were to get a sprocket with fewer teeth.. Will I gain a little more speed and will the mounting holes be the same ?

Yankphan

Feb 12, 2013
Florida
I see what you mean now.... But how much is it possie to dish the wheel ? I'd need about an extra say 2 thicknesses of the sprocket teeth thickness if that makes sense... I had no idea what you meant at first... Now I'm kinda thinking if I can't get enough "dish" out of that adjustment... Maybe I can layer another sprocket to the original and grind down the teeth on the original to clear the chain ? What do you think ??

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Lurker could probably explain dishing better than I could; it's a lot of futzing around with a spoke wrench (and truing, and swearing - the first time anyway). I had a Micargi Huntington with fat tires, so I had to try a bit of dishing. I used a steel yardstick with mini-barclamps on it to make a gauge, and I had a spare fork to put it in. The principle is to loosen the spokes on the drive sprocket side just a wee bit, and tighten those on the pedal side. The overall effect is that the rim slides over to the right a bit - in relation to the centerline of the hub - and you gain some clearance between your chain and your tire.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just don't get crazy with the "dishing" or your bike will go down the road like a dog.
A narrower tire is better than a bike that dog tracks.

Yankphan

Feb 12, 2013
Florida
Going with the tire.
Another problem... My clutch arm a camshaft pulls out of the engine with ease!!
Opened the clutch sprocket cover to find the inside cracked where it looks like a pin should be ?
I believe it's called a shaft fixed pin ?
And I'd need a new sprocket clutch cover... Does this sound correct ? Where can u buy these parts ... Maybe a link ??