Racing spark plug wires

GoldenMotor.com

Frogster

Jan 18, 2013
Mississauga Ontario Canada
Hi there all, for my upcoming build, I plan on having a bike with a few performance parts and also plan on having a bike speedometer.
Pirate cycles sells these MSD racing spark plug wires:
http://www.piratecycles1.com/msdraspplwi.html

I was wondering what peoples opinions were with this product and upgraded spark plug wires in general. Any experience is helpful.

Also, I intend on buying a puch hi hi compression head. Probably the 70cc one, but I might go crazy and get the 50cc one, which would mean my compression ratio would be somewhere around 16:1. I am willing to use 94 octane gas with octane booster, however I was wondering what spark plug heat range I would need for this? Should I get an iridium plug? If you can help guide me in the right direction as far as a good spark plug choice for this application, that would be appreciated to.

Cant wait to hear from all of you knowledgeable bikers.
.shft.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the best wires i've found are the basic old 7mm copper core, non suppression wires. i use them on everything, and a good auto parts store sells it by the foot for cheap.

it might mess with your digital speedo, though...

i dunno about iridium plugs. i use NGK B7HS or B8HS plugs on my race bikes, depending on the outside temps.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unless you plan to put a hundred thousand miles on your engine there's no advantage to the high priced iridium plug. They are designed for high milage, not performance gains.

As for 'go-fast' parts we always recommend you start with a stock engine and progress upward after break in. Adding those performance enhancers before you know how the engine is going to run can, and usually does cause more problems than giving you speed gain. Do one thing at a time so you'll know what works and what doesn't.

And I agree with Bairdco on the plug wire. Copper core is the way to go.

Tom

Frogster

Jan 18, 2013
Bike guy joe, Im simply following the advice of culvercityclassic in this forum thread:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=39382&page=2

Everyone was talking about their experience with the puch 70cc hi hi compression head (which for the most part seems to be all positive experience) and he claims to have used the 50cc puch hi hi compression head on a 66cc motor with good results. I might just get the 70cc, but i wud definitely like to increase the compression ratio from the stock compression of 5:1 (66cc/14cc = 4.7).

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Bike guy joe, Im simply following the advice of culvercityclassic in this forum thread:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=39382&page=2

Everyone was talking about their experience with the puch 70cc hi hi compression head (which for the most part seems to be all positive experience) and he claims to have used the 50cc puch hi hi compression head on a 66cc motor with good results. I might just get the 70cc, but i wud definitely like to increase the compression ratio from the stock compression of 5:1 (66cc/14cc = 4.7).
I did use the 50cc head on four bikes with no issues. Raced the bike wide open for 12 laps with no issues. Its all in what you want to purchase, I want more bang for my buck so I chose this head. FYI...another close member runs the same head and has one of the fastest local bikes around.

BTW I never mentioned what compression it produced....

back on track...I use the MSD wire setup...works great

Last edited:

Frogster

Jan 18, 2013
Ohh ya, it may not have been you who mentioned it, but I swear i saw a post were some person made that estimate. Cud be anything from 9:1 to 16:1. I dont know the combustion chamber dimensions. All i know is that its way better then the stock heads 4.7:1 compression ratio.. Also, the cooling is much better.

Culver, what kind of fuel/ additives do you use in the bikes with the 50cc head?

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Got a 76 station local that has 100 octane race gas. You can check your local motorcycle store for race gas. They should have it in your choice. Just runs about 10 bucks a gallon.

Frogster

Jan 18, 2013
Up here in Sauga city, the highest octane gas ive encountered is 94 octane from petro canada i think.. might be sunoco. Either way, could I use that and add octane booster and high performance 2 stroke oil?