do you have to pedal from a start every time

GoldenMotor.com

wrx2bike

Oct 31, 2010
california
Hey guys I have a question I have a spoiler with a 2 smoke and It starts up easily and and runs pretty well. But when I come to a stop and try to go again it dies. Is this normal ?? Or should it be able to take off from a stop once the motor is running Thank you

wrx2bike

Oct 31, 2010
california
o ok thanks guys ... so say I wanted to build a bike with a motor that would pull from a start . What would my options be ?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You need a low gear, so a shift kit.

You don't need to pedal fast ya know, just a few strokes, let out the clutch and feed it the fuel. You just have to get some momentum going so the engine doesn't stall.

It's not a motorcycle...

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
You can go from a dead stop, though it's not recommended.

You need a low restriction exhaust, a sprocket no fewer than 44T, possibly upjetting, and a supply of clutchpads from butterflying it every time you start.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You can go from a dead stop, though it's not recommended.

You need a low restriction exhaust, a sprocket no fewer than 44T, possibly upjetting, and a supply of clutchpads from butterflying it every time you start.
I know you are not talking about the S6S 9.4 HP Morini.;) Yeah you can get a china to do it they are not really made for it.. Some with the C clutches will do ok.. I would still peddle assist it tho.

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Roflmao! Of course on a china girl.

I haven't played with the centrifugal clutches. With the exception of the pull start, what's your opinion on em?

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
I have a 67cc 2-stroke with a h/c head and a SBP shift kit. The first gear is so low that its almost useless but I can take off from a stop without pedaling. Strangely enough. I found that a little amount of exhaust back pressure increased my low end torque. At the advice of my friendly neighborhood motorcycle manufacturer ( PHAT Motorcycles) I went back to an unported long exhaust pipe from my ported one. Apparently wide open pipes are not always the way to go. ...surprised me!...

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Roflmao! Of course on a china girl.

I haven't played with the centrifugal clutches. With the exception of the pull start, what's your opinion on em?
FourEasy ran the China C clutch in a hot roded china and reported it ran very hot. He had to cut out a big hole in the cover to get air flow. There is rumor that one can get a China to run wet. Have not heard a report tho. Compare it to the wet bath C Clutch of a Morini and it was born in ''true'' racing and weathers out better. Just think stop and go traffic. There clutches are easily adjustable too.

C clutches are sweet they let you come out the gate right into the motors power band! No I have not ran any Happy Times with the C Clutch once I went M. there was no looking back!!

Get a shift kit then.

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
I wouldnt go with a pull start they dont last very long ,at least with the slant head. We tried all kinds of pull strings all the way to using a motorcycle clutch cable and it still broke took longer but it broke. With the slant head couldnt pedal start it so you were there left with a pedal bike chopper and 7 miles to get back home lol...Swapped head to old style, took out all the pull start crap and now i can pedal start it. Nice.

duffmandied

Mar 9, 2011
nebraska
im not even running a pedal chain. they're jus kinda hangin there. its a slow start off the line but i can work the clutch and get it goin....

kojak

Feb 2, 2011
I just kick off from the ground and ease the clutch out to get it going. I was worried about premature wear at first but ever since I cut down a fresh set of stock pads to fit loosely it's been fine. Not sure of my sprocket size but I cruise at 35 MPH.