Hitting clutch kills engine

GoldenMotor.com

deme7695

Mar 16, 2011
pittsburgh
Grubee SkyHawk 48cc after riding for a little when i push in the clutch it kills

the engine even before i stop. Also sometimes it seems like the clutch has

losened so i really cant pedal. But when i go to drive back home the clutch is fine..duh.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Sounds like the cable might be binding sometimes. Did you lube it up prior to install? If not, I would take apart the clutch cable and lube it all up.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
the cables that come with these kits are junk.. they will stretch with use and sometimes fray quickly. this will cause it to bind in the cable housing. and the lube is a great idea, if your cable is ok and not lubed.

if it just stretched, is as simple as adjusting the cable. there are a few ways to do this, and all of them are really easy.

if it frayed, like my throttle cables where doing. you will need a new cable. mine would work ok, the the it would stick sometimes. till one day it just stuck, i puled it out of the cable hosing, and it was frayed and useless.

once you adjust it a bit.. try and start your bike, and come to a stop. if you can, needless to say your good:) but still, pick up your back wheel with your clutch pulled in.. your wheel should not spine. and if it dose, try tightening it up a hair at a time till you get it just right.

the one i just built for my friend was doing the same thing. we just keep adjusting it as the cable stretched. and its working fine now.:)

and when you peddle, you will feel a tiny bit of drag when working right. but if your clutch just needs adjusted. you should feel alot less drag once its fixed.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Make sure the CDI wires aren't zip tied to the frame too tight, & also see if screwing the idle screw into the carb a little more helps keep it running.

deme7695

Mar 16, 2011
pittsburgh
Ya i made it a lot tighter and it works better.

But when the clutch is all the way how easy should it be to peadle. beacuse

without the chain it is really easy to peadle. Its amost like that but should i

be able to peadle like theres no engine?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Even with the clutch in, the clutch part of the engine still turns when you pedal, so it won't be as easy to pedal as if there was no engine.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
Even with the clutch in, the clutch part of the engine still turns when you pedal, so it won't be as easy to pedal as if there was no engine.
agreed. the sprocket that comes with your kit is not on a free wheel. so as long as your back wheel is moving your drive chain is to. and if your chain is turning its turning your drive sprocket, and your clutch.

there for you will always have some drag because of this. but it should not be to bad? id it making it hard to peddle?