New Problem

GoldenMotor.com

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I was riding the bike earlier and it started bogging down when I was getting into the higher rpms and when I depressed the clutch handle it went down all the way with no resistance, after slowing down the clutch worked properly again but every time I sped up very much it would do it again.
I don't understand it, It stayed in the "preclutched" drive once until I had to stop at a light and it forced the motor to die, I pulled the bike off the road and the clutch started working again within a few feet, and I was glad it did, the rear wheel wasn't turning at all until the clutch decided to start working again. Does anyone know what could possibly cause this? Do I need to crack the engine open and examine the clutch assembly or can something else cause this?
Thanks for any input!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the easiest things to check would be the cable itself. if it's binding, kinked, or even ziptied too tight it may be causing it.

also, check the rod at the engine and make sure it's not pulling out. on one of my bikes, the clutch arm and the actuator rod popped up mysteriously, so it wasn't engaging. i popped it back in and it never came out again.

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
the easiest things to check would be the cable itself. if it's binding, kinked, or even ziptied too tight it may be causing it.

also, check the rod at the engine and make sure it's not pulling out. on one of my bikes, the clutch arm and the actuator rod popped up mysteriously, so it wasn't engaging. i popped it back in and it never came out again.
Thanks, the cable is perfect, nothing wrong there. Anything else will have to wait to check until tomorrow.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
First, check the routing, action and mounting of the clutch cable and arm its self, then if it sticks, lube, clean and or re route the cable.
Then check the clutch actuator shaft and ramp its self, as I've seen these wear out.
it sounds like a sticky cable to me.
good luck
BBB

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
First, check the routing, action and mounting of the clutch cable and arm its self, then if it sticks, lube, clean and or re route the cable.
Then check the clutch actuator shaft and ramp its self, as I've seen these wear out.
it sounds like a sticky cable to me.
good luck
BBB
Well, as I stated before, the cable is perfect, when I was riding and it stared doing this, I tried squeezing the cable and it went all the way in with no resistance, while it was doing it's thing, I looked down at the clutch arm while I was squeezing the handle and it was going in and out as I was squeezing and releasing the handle. So I know there is no binding in the cable itself, I think it may be an internal problem, but I have never opened a motor like this before and just a little apprehensive about it. But I guess I have to start some time. lol
Thanks for the input buzbikebklyn1

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I started checking it out and it turned out that the clutch arm going into the motor came out! I pulled the housing and the retaining pin was out but stuck to some grease, it was bent and one end of it was ground partially away. I straightened the pin and put it back in, but the motor still runs bad, it bogs down almost the entire time now. When I engage the clutch now it works but the motor won't rev up even with the clutch engaged. Could this problem with the clutch have cause another problem?

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I found the problem! All fixed now, the choke had come loose and was partially closing while I was riding and because my attention was on the clutch problem I never saw it. I tightened the choke down and now it is running just fine again. I just hope the retaining pin don't work out on the clutch arm again.