how do i keep chain from rubbing my rear tire?

GoldenMotor.com

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
I agree with breno flip the sprocket, yeah it sucks but its right. I run factory huffy 2.25" tires and have about a quarter inch of clearance between the tire and chain. Keep the tensioner and align it properly as it may give you more clearance on the lower part of the chain than you have now. BTW I would keep the fatties as they will make your ride smoother on your back side. If you want speed and a stiff ride get skinnies, just watch them pot holes with a really good eye. Good luck.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
If you loosen both tire axle bolts, you can usally tilt the tire slightly and tighten it back down, Its often enough to stop rubbing... Of course, you have to take care to do this every time you remove/replace the tire, or it will rub.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
If you loosen both tire axle bolts, you can usally tilt the tire slightly and tighten it back down, Its often enough to stop rubbing... Of course, you have to take care to do this every time you remove/replace the tire, or it will rub.
This won't work for long as the wheel will just go back to it's normal home position. A more permanent dodgey fix is take a nut from the lhs of the axle and fit it to the rhs (providing there are xtra nuts other than the bearing locknuts) this will shift the rim over to the rightand it will be a new home position it will stay at. Different variations of nuts may be needed to get it just right. Try not to spread the frame too much.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
LOL thanks for your help, man. Not sure if I wanna shell out that much for the grubee HD, but if I flip the sprocket, that may just give me enough clearance to save the tire (PS. that was my least favorite and most time consuming part of assembly). If not, I might just go for the 26x1.75s. So close, yet so far!
:-||
You should get good clearence with 1.195's. That's what I had to switch to with Pirate's special sprocket for 68 spoke wheels.
This sprocket sits in a little moer than the std rag joint one.

If the 1.195's dont clear, then you can flip the sprocket.

If you just flip the sprocket, the 2.25's may be OK, Was OK on my Sun Cruiser build that way. Tire rubbed bad untill I flipped sprocket.

Wayne Z

Wayne Z