chitty chitty clutch bang!

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Just happened,
When riding along I heard a loud bang that sounded as though it came from the counter shaft area. The bang happens when riding and when coasting, it happens with the enging on or off clutch in or not. It even happens pushing the bike, motor off clutch in and pedaling. The bang is not constant it will seem alright then bang. I have recently had the back wheel off the bike and have just remounted it after some flats. I pulled the counter shaft cover thinking it may be a chain problem (it still may be) looked OK. I pulled off the clutch cover, looked ok. When I first heard it I thought the chain had jumped. The motor does not need to be running to hear this loud bang/snap.

Jim

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Remove the left side, clutch actuator cover and look for evidence that the chain is hitting near the front of the cover where it goes over the sprocket. If so there is a fix for it. Even with proper chain tension there can be contact in that area and a loose chain will make it worse and can cause a bind.
Here's a link that might explain it better> http://motorbicycling.com/f30/chain-noise-6682.html
Tom

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
You guys are way cool. The chain was eating the cover. It took longer to hook up the die grinder & fill the compresser than to fix it. I think it was all a chain alingment issue. I fixed that. I have taken it out yet but I did pedal it on the center stand. Hope to ride it tomorrow, looking good