I have a hole in my newly shipped engine...

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The hole does not look pretty but it will do no harm if you store the bike indoors out of the rain. If the engine gets soaked water can enter the cylinder stud passage and eventually rust out the cylinder stud in about 10 or 15 years.
Do you really think that the engine will last long enough for the stud to rust to the point of failure?

Edit: if it does get water in there, start the engine and get it hot, the water will evaporate.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
i have a few jugs with the same flaws dont sweat it..
Correct....that casting flaw has ZERO effect on running the engine. Unless the seller (which didn't make it to begin with) incurs 100% of the cost involved, I'd run it. BUT, yes I'd let them know about the flaw and that would tell me how good or bad their customer service is, or isn't.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Given it's obviously a manufacturing defect on a brandy-new motor & a new cyl only costs about $20 - why on earth would ya not try to get a replacement part, under warranty or not Al?

I'm down w/the fact these are extremely cheap engines & I'll accept quite a bit in the way of "flaws" - but a gaping hole in the side of the engine is a bit much lol, even if it doesn't effect anything performance wise...

I'd seriously recommend attempting to get it replaced on their dime & if they won't - please do post about it in Vendor Review. They may not have made the thing, but they're selling it and outa stand behind their product. If you choose to sell such things, accepting a certain attrition to profit due to returns of defective items is to be expected - it's not like it was bunged up with a bad install and someone's trying to blame their own mistakes on the retailer.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It'll run just fine!! (^)
While I do agree with you that, being in a low-stress location, the engine should run fine with the hole where it is, I have to wonder: do you think it could be a starting point for cracks? (I know, these engines are seldom in this world for long.) And would moisture getting trapped in there pose a problem?
My other concern is that this is a quality issue; he received a "factory second" after having paid full-price under the assumption that he would be getting the same quality of engine that everyone else receives or as is shown on the websites. If it had been me I would have diplomatically explained the problem and asked about their return policies in order to ship it back properly. But, keep in mind, that's what I personally would do.
Having said that, Murphy's Law being what it is, the engine might just run fine for 12,000 miles or more.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Given it's obviously a manufacturing defect on a brandy-new motor & a new cyl only costs about $20 - why on earth would ya not try to get a replacement part, under warranty or not Al?

I'm down w/the fact these are extremely cheap engines & I'll accept quite a bit in the way of "flaws" - but a gaping hole in the side of the engine is a bit much lol, even if it doesn't effect anything performance wise...

I'd seriously recommend attempting to get it replaced on their dime & if they won't - please do post about it in Vendor Review. They may not have made the thing, but they're selling it and outa stand behind their product. If you choose to sell such things, accepting a certain attrition to profit due to returns of defective items is to be expected - it's not like it was bunged up with a bad install and someone's trying to blame their own mistakes on the retailer.
I'm not saying not to try to get a replacement, what I'm saying is that in the present condition it will be of no factor in running the engine. I believe I said contact them, but if you need to pay shipping, I don't, myself feel it's worth it. I bought a engine from a vendor, the rear sprocket was warped, this particular vendor sent me a replacement and didn't want to have the defective returned. I've bought 3 engines from him and was waiting for the new ons to come out to buy the 4th. That is the kind of vendor that is a pleasure to do business with. The first engine I bought had a defective coil, that vendor so much as told me to kiss their az. I trash them every chance I get, and I send them a copy of the receipt of each engine I buy showing lost sales due to a $10.00 part.

"Correct....that casting flaw has ZERO effect on running the engine. Unless the seller (which didn't make it to begin with) incurs 100% of the cost involved, I'd run it. BUT, yes I'd let them know about the flaw and that would tell me how good or bad their customer service is, or isn't."

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
While I do agree with you that, being in a low-stress location, the engine should run fine with the hole where it is, I have to wonder: do you think it could be a starting point for cracks? (I know, these engines are seldom in this world for long.) And would moisture getting trapped in there pose a problem?
My other concern is that this is a quality issue; he received a "factory second" after having paid full-price under the assumption that he would be getting the same quality of engine that everyone else receives or as is shown on the websites. If it had been me I would have diplomatically explained the problem and asked about their return policies in order to ship it back properly. But, keep in mind, that's what I personally would do.
Having said that, Murphy's Law being what it is, the engine might just run fine for 12,000 miles or more.
I'll be very honest... I would have no problem using that engine on my personal bike! Those holes in that part of the casting are 'sorta' common.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
i concur with norm i have atleast 8 engines with the same casting flaw heck worse than yours i wouldnt bother taking my perfectly running engine apart to swap a bad jug for another

joe joe dogface

May 25, 2010
Kansas
There is no quality control, these things are stamped out in the 3rd world for pennys a day, I snapped my tin foil clutch last night just sliding it on the handle bars. You could send it back, but we all know the excitement envolved with our new motors, and that would mean waiting a couple more weeks!!! Rub a little J B weld in there and get that thing on the road!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and above all, have FUN!!!!!!!