my hopes are on this

GoldenMotor.com

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
Sorry to dash your hopes Deacon.

Firefly was a start-up company here in Peoria. They fell behind on their time schedule, never producing a marketable battery. They had prototypes in the city buses, but they were still buggy and not light enough yet. The company told all the backers (including Caterpillar) they just needed more time and money to get it right, but the banks wouldn't extend the loans. Firefly failed to get additional financial backing or more investers. They declared bankrupcy a couple months back and the city is suing to try and recover some of their initial investment loans.

Hopefully someone will pick up the ball and carry on, but not here and not at this time.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Ah well it is a good idea. The weight is my issue with sla. I love the way they perform. Actually I wouldn't mind a flooded cell all that much if it were light weight.

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
It was nice try , but the same as if somebody would try to make an improvement on steam engine (which is more efficient than IC engine)...

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Lighter and cheaper always gets my attention.
An inventer has created a 6 cycle engine; 4 on gas and the last two on water, or steam. Produces 50 percent more torque per engine weight than conventional gas 4 stroke engines. Sorry that I don't have a link.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Something will come along. The reinvention of the wheel is fine, but sometimes you can just modify the wheel for greater efficiency

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
The only way to make lead based battery to be more efficient is to build it in some nano technology way , which wouldn't be cheaper (on the contrary). Lead has large mass and you can't reduce that mass and keep the energy storage capacity (it has some connection with reacting surfaces of electrodes in the cell). Now , what can be done, is to improve the life (shelf and working life) of the cells and percentage of stored energy use (ie - your battery should be safe to 80-90% DOD in many more cycles than today's SLA).
But, with carbon based (nano) technology and Lithium and all other stuff, it's not likely to happen. And there are alternative researches of "free energy" and what not, so it is more probable direction of research for handling the energy storage and use and availability .