Does anyone produce the Rocket Key?

GoldenMotor.com

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Seriously, my motor seems as though it backfires a little like every 10-20 RPM, and it just dies on the top RPMs. I tried to make one on three separate occasions but I just suck at it.

Is there anyway to actually just buy one?

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
I'm talking about the offset key for the magneto rotor that advances the timing by like 5-10 degrees. I know there's a post where Norm was trying to make them somewhere. When I used to work on Goped's & pocket bikes they'd call them "rocket keys".

BTW: Most of the problems I referred to in the original post have gone away. I didn't know the carb was adjustable with that little pin & clip thing in it. Moved it up one notch and the thing torques like crazy now. Still backfires a little during idle but I can live with that. But it would still be fun to experiment with the timing to see what would happen...

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Oh ok. I understand what you are asking for, but I don't know about any sources.

Maybe you have a loose connection or bad plug. Could also be the fuel. Does it have a lot of alcohol in it? (gasahol mixes in some places are 10-30% corn alcohol. It can have large effects on engine timing needs and mpg).

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ten to fifteen degrees sounds like a lot of advance. In my experience 3 to 5 has been in the range where a noticable difference can be found. I recall seeing a source a year or so ago for offset keys but they were too big for the Chinese engines we have and needed to be shaved down a few thousands to fit the crank and magnet. They were advertised as "5 degree advance offset keys" but I don't recall anyone using them successfully.
I do know that my best running engine has a 3 degree advace over the others I own proven by taking careful measurements of both top dead center on the cranks and magnet position at the crank/magneto coil. Good luck, let us know what you discover.
Tom