Tried to register in FL

GoldenMotor.com

sudjim

Jun 8, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Good afternoon all,
I went to the Tax collector's office in Gainesville, FL today with the intention of registeing my motorized bicycle. I did this because a friend of mine here in town got a ticket for riding an unregistered motor vehicle. Ricky lost the argument wit the cop about what needs to be registered and what doesn't.

Regardless, I wen there with a copy of Procedure RS-61 and Section 320.01(28), assuming they would call my bike a "moped". I even had an affidavid typed up stating that I was the lawful and rightful owner of the bike.

THEY WOULD NOT REGISTER MY BIKE! Section 320.6(3) amd 320.0803 ..."except motorized bicycles"
also Section 316.211(6) says...B. Dirt bikes noted for off road use, motorized bicycles and Go-Peds are not registered.

The lady at the office said to keep a copy of these pages with me in the event I get pulled over. Maybe Florida is not so bad afterall. I never expected a government office to turn down money offered.

Jim

pwrobleski

Jul 9, 2009
Florida
I haven't tried this yet, just do to I'm still building.... But I spent 6 hrs on the phone one day. Just plain aggervated some and some made a few calls to help with the registration problem some are having in FL. What I was told by a ex-statetrooper, which is now in highway saftey in Ocala, FL. He stated, "if you bring it here on a trailer and it has wheels, brakes and rolls, we will issue you a title". he also stated that this means you are down as the one who manufactured this bike. And if anything went wrong while riding, you were going to be fully responsible if someone else was harmed or property damage. What I got out of this was, he said if you had a title form the state the tag office would have to give you a registration because it's now a motor vehicle. This doesn't mean you can go without lights, u still have to follow the laws. this is how custom bike builders get there bikes on the road."Your the builder!!!!!!! I got this info about 8 months back, I have to look into finding the numbers i called then I will post them. But in short, GOOGLE "highway safety/ocala", pretty sure sopmeone can track down the #.....lol