Clutch Won't Disengage

GoldenMotor.com

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana

Supposedly when that clutch handle pictured here is moved all the way inward to the engine...its suppose to disengage. Just wanna to know where and what to look at first in resolving this issue.

_

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
There's a couple of good threads here covering this issue. It looks like a new engine and, apparently, sometimes the clutch pads get frozen so you can check for that. Also look at a schematic to see if all the bits are present. Maybe the little ball bearing is missing? And the clutch springs are pretty strong so you won't likely be able to push it with your fingers unless you've got the bike braced against something solid.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you'll be happier if you get rid of that thin spring on the end of your cable (they still include it with kit, but now there is a real return spring in the levers that works well)

if a coup;e good kicks on the pedal doesn't free a new clutch, open the cover and pull the lever on the handle bars - you should see the outer plate move away from hub and get loose - if so, then a few GENTLE taps with a hammer on the clutch hub will free it

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
Yeah, you really gotta fine tune that flower nut to make it work. Thanks for the help guys. So far its been like this assembling the kit every friggin step of the way.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If it's a brand new engine?, the clutch pads are usually stuck to the clutch plates from sitting in a box for so long!!

Just pull the clutch lever & roll the bike back & forth to break it free! (^)

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana

Check this out guys:

After initially being able to disengage the clutch, I decided to test ride the bike in normal pedal free mode….with no problems. Its what happened afterward that I’m now having serious issues with. While putting the clutch back in engage mode again, it seems like the gears locked up. Naturally I adjusted the flower nut a bit, and the large gear rotates freely and pushes in and out normally. However, the smaller gear can’t seem to make a full revolution whenever it comes in contact with the larger gear. Put a bit of oil on it to make it spin freer, but with no effect. And that’s where I’m at with this thing now.

_

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
hard to tell from pic, but looks like your small bevel gear is cracked down near the 7 o'clock position of the pic

you do have the spark plug out to turn it right?

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
ez, just something I noticed. It looks like you have grease on everything in the center. I'd be concerned that it will migrate out to the pads with rotation. Actually it looks like there's some grease on the pads around 4 to 5 oclock.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yes, they can be had cheap on CL when the little squirrel cage fan at the bottom breaks (got one for $15) - best to take that part off anyway for starting motors

for a motor full of fuel it works really well

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
Does it always take forever to start these engines ? Supposedly its 2 minutes max pedaling before the motor kicks in. I'm thinking its either the chain or the plug.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
depends a lot on your gearing and how new the motor is

a one speed bike will take a while to get up to speed

a new motor will take longer until it runs in a bit

sometimes putting choke full on and take it off after hearing first pop will start it more quickly

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If your engine is hard to start then a pull starter won't make it better, or easier. You'll just end up with a tired arm instead of tired legs.

Get everything right, carburetor tune, plug gap, good spark plug boot and a few miles on the engine and it shouldn't take much to start it. My bikes start within the length of my driveway, about thirty feet.

Tom

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
If your engine is hard to start then a pull starter won't make it better, or easier. You'll just end up with a tired arm instead of tired legs.

Get everything right, carburetor tune, plug gap, good spark plug boot and a few miles on the engine and it shouldn't take much to start it. My bikes start within the length of my driveway, about thirty feet.

Tom
Troubleshooting those steps now. Also checking the throttle cable as well. Might even replace the plug with a brand name one. By the way, what is the minimum fuel requirement for an engine start ? I've got half a quart in the tank now.

_

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I like pedal start because fuel issues often require more than a minute of hard, fast pedaling to get a start - this cannot be done with a pull start which gives only a few turns per pull.

How much is in the tank matters little if it is keeping carb full. A non-starter with dry plug isn't getting fuel, with a too wet plug is flooded with fuel, with just right plug has a compression problem. Unfortunately, it takes some experience with these to recognize this.