Starting to look like something

GoldenMotor.com

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Etched Head Tube Badge

Not exactly what I had in mind but I think I like it...

Attachments

Last edited:

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Yup. Anyone see my quadrotriticale?

Thanks guys. It's getting about time to strip it down and paint the frame. There's always one more thing I want to weld or grind though.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
This might seem like a DUMB question but is the frame strong enough to put up with that Beast of an engine ? yer going to be cruising pretty fasts, if you have taken that matter into consideration explain what measures you've taken to prevent the frame from disintegrating ? most of the frame looks be built with bicycle frame components that would better accommodate a smaller engine I'd hate to hear of any mis-haps while yer in motion.

I really like the bike though, give us one more side pic of the bike in it's entirety before break down Please!

Last edited:

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Excellent question, and not one that I have taken lightly.
This won't be a highway cruiser but it won't be for parks and dirt roads either. The engine size is calculated to be just about enough to keep up with traffic on secondary roads. It's not huge but its forty plus pound mass, and sustained velocities of significantly more than a bicycle was designed for, are not something to ignore.
I did a little research and found that Worksman bicycles had the best reputation for solid design and construction. I started with a Worksman frame with a 500 pound stated capacity. The top tubes and down tube were replaced with 1-1/8, 12 gauge chromoly tubing. The welding was supervised by a trained welder, but most of it was done by me. Most of the welds were ground down, inspected and re-applied as needed. The head tube is reinforced with a ¼” steel gusset. The rear dropouts are reinforced with ¼” steel. The rear stays have a ¼” steel reinforcement between them, though this was done more for the possible addition of a pannier rack later on. The springer fork and sprung seat should mitigate the effect of my bulk slamming down on it. The motor will be suspended on urethane bushings which should dampen vibration and shock. The rims are the heaviest I could find and laced with 11g spokes.

All that said, I will of course test it in as safe a way possible before it sees much road use. Speaking of which, it will have all safety equipment required for registration, including a Maryland safety inspection.

If you, or anyone else sees a weak point, please chime in.

Here she is with a fresh coat of gloss black and arrows pointing out some of the strengthening considerations.

Attachments

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Trust me, I've been around bikes and motorcycles long enough to know the risks. I also know that that the biggest risk is from cars whizzing by while trying to ride in the sometimes nonexistent shoulder. Maryland seems to be a particularly poor place to ride in that regard.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I traded a bike that had a gusset added to the rear of the bottom bracket and joined to the bottom protion of the seat post tube as an extra added precaution.

Yer bike is looking good what kind of exhaust are you gonna do?

Attachments

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Well, I invested in a tubing bender. I'll see what I can do with that. Probably 1" pipe flaring to a straight section of 1.5" with some baffle inserts.