Problem when at WOT

GoldenMotor.com

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
There are times when I'm hauling azz at wide open throttle but the engine will sound like I've let go of the throttle even though the bike isn't slowing down. You know that exhaust sound you get as you're decelerating while the clutch is still engaged.

It's not all the time that it happens. Do you think it might be the reeds going bad?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Is your tank and petcock restricting the fuel flow? If it only does it after high rpm periods, sounds like it's being starved for fuel. Check for too low a float setting as well. Might be drinking the bowl dry at full speed.
If fuel system checks out, I'd start looking for bad connections in the electrical system and go from there.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Today I finally found my problem. I caught an edge of the gasket at the top of the throttle body when I put my cable through and folded it over. Top of carb was leaking air. I re-aligned the gasket so it'd make a proper seal and now the bike runs perfectly.

Don'tcha hate it when it takes so long to figure out a problem and when you do, it turns out to be something really stupid and easy to fix.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Today I finally found my problem. I caught an edge of the gasket at the top of the throttle body when I put my cable through and folded it over. Top of carb was leaking air. I re-aligned the gasket so it'd make a proper seal and now the bike runs perfectly.

Don'tcha hate it when it takes so long to figure out a problem and when you do, it turns out to be something really stupid and easy to fix.
Much better than figuring out it will cost a fortune!