Predator 79/99cc Torque Converter/Transmission

GoldenMotor.com

cowboy1948

Nov 1, 2014
SIMI VALLEY CA.
Has anyone successfully mated a 3/4'' drive torque converter to the 99c predator engine. Using a 5/8'' to 3'4'' spacer on the drive shaft? I have seen a couple of converter on the web, but non to my liking. So is there a converter that will bolt up to the 99cc engine. Or that I can drill mounting holes into the mounting plate. One that also has a cover and belt drive. The q matic that is listed on a couple of sites does not look good to me and the price is high.
Thanks. Any help, please.usflg

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Think it take to much power to make the torque converter to work on them small engines. Don't know if anyone has tried it, but discussed on the forum before. They are made for 3+ hp i think, just what i have read here.....................Curt

cowboy1948

Nov 1, 2014
SIMI VALLEY CA.
Thanks. Seems like I run into problems with this build. I live in Calif. And the 99cc are not sold in Calif. They are not legal hear. I can use a 79cc 0r a 212cc.
Just thinking that the 212cc is to big. But it will fit on the Schwinn occ xl I am using..duh.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Just use the Lifan 4MHP. 118cc's, CA legal & a 3/4" shaft.

I bought mine at Home Depot. It has been dragging my sidehack around for years.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Every 49cc 4 stroke scooter made uses a cvt type trans...I don't know why people think they won't work on smaller engines. You just hafta have the right ones

cowboy1948

Nov 1, 2014
SIMI VALLEY CA.
usflg Found out harbor fright is not selling the 99cc predator any more. The next best for me is the predator 79cc, except it has a 5/8'' drive shaft. So would have to use a spacer, 3/4'', on the shaft. The 79cc is $99.00. and the 212cc is $112.00. Plus already has a 3/4'' drive shaft. My concern is the weight 212 is 37lb, the 79 is 22lb. Most of the others in this category of engines wt. in at around 34lb. .shft.

biker61

Mar 31, 2016
Siloam Springs, ar
Has anyone successfully mated a 3/4'' drive torque converter to the 99c predator engine. Using a 5/8'' to 3'4'' spacer on the drive shaft? I have seen a couple of converter on the web, but non to my liking. So is there a converter that will bolt up to the 99cc engine. Or that I can drill mounting holes into the mounting plate. One that also has a cover and belt drive. The q matic that is listed on a couple of sites does not look good to me and the price is high.
Thanks. Any help, please.usflg
I have one i bought from jamesar,I changed it to a 60 tooth rear sprocket from the 44,it is a 24in. bike,their is a pic of it ,do search on jamesar. The engine and cvt have to be left of center so it is not well balanced,it runs about 35mph on level ground but will climb steep hills with ease.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Every 49cc 4 stroke scooter made uses a cvt type trans...I don't know why people think they won't work on smaller engines. You just hafta have the right ones
Efficiency.
A manual tranny will always beat a CVT, especially with minimal power in the ~50cc range, heck, I changed my whole business focus to that because it works so well.

A .05 liter motorized bicycle able to keep pace with 3.0 liter car in city traffic?
Yep.
It just has manual gears, little power loss to the wheel.

Last edited:

cowboy1948

Nov 1, 2014
SIMI VALLEY CA.
Check with Home Depot they have Lufin 108 cc i think or about that size.............Curt

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LIFAN-3-...sal-Mounting-Bolt-Pattern-LF152F-3Q/203281925

5/8 " shaft though, you can get a sleve to make it 3/4, got mine through Fastenal alone with a thicker keyway..... curt[/QUOT

The predator 79cc shaft length is 2.4 ''. Did you buy a 3/4'' sleeve longer than the shaft? And then cut it to match the length of your motors shaft? I am going to go with predator 79cc first. A hoping a TAV2 for 3/4'' shaft will fit.
Going to try the 79cc first. Then if it works ok and does not fell to heavy I'll switch to a 212cc. I am going to install it in a Schwinn occ stingray XL.usflg