Jim's Sprocket Adaptors "Great Value"

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I think I have talked before on here about clamshell sprocket adaptors. I never really liked the rag joint kit adaptor as far as safety and the hassel of trying to get it lined up to run true.
Early on I started building my own precision aluminum adaptors, but it would take all day on my manual machines with a pretty pricey piece of aluminum.
I spotted Jim's (Creative Eng.) or as he calls his parts line now (Manic Mechanic) I ordered a couple of his Clamshell Adaptors. I can't believe how easy his are to install, and the fact that they don't even touch the spokes but are securely clamped to the rear hub so they run perfectly true with no hassel! There is no way I can afford to machine my own with the price he offers. Especially now that he has the precision matched sprockets to go with them for a super low price.
They will work perfect on the two O.C.C. choppers I am getting ready to build.
Anyway having said all this, and after being a machinist for almost 40 years, I know a Great Value when it comes to precision machined parts.
Jim, I am going to be ordering two more, I will call you with the measurements.

John

Attachments

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I NEED ONE! Please direct me to where you bought this.
They are very easy to order, you can "click" on the Manic Mechanic Bike parts in the right hand column.
Remember, you will need to notify him with the Rear Hub diameter since most all bikes are different and also the diameter of where the spokes are laced to the rear wheel.
You will love it, especially with the matching sprocket. It is so painless to install!

John

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
These look like very nice parts...way better way to get the job done than the kit included stuff by miles. My next build is going to be this single speed frame I picked up at a yard sale, I'm thinking this is what I'm going with for sure.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Thanks guys!

I price all of my stuff based solely on time and materials. I wear all the hats, so there aren't any manufacturers to deal with, no middlemen...no wholesale to retail schedules...no tier level profits.

I tried ebay, but I couldn't justify it; thier fees are so high. The charge was $3.35 for a clutch kit, add $1.30 for paypal. It was costing me $4.65 to sell a clutch kit. The paypal fees are acceptable. Thier fees are comparable to what it would cost me to get set-up to accept credit cards. I have thought about trying ebay again...for the exposure...and simply raising my prices 15% to cover the ebay fees.

The sprocket adapters & Sprockets are a real value when considering the alternatives. I had not planned on making sprockets, but it ended up being necessary in order to guarantee a totally hassle free installation. John was able to buy, and use, the adapters prior to the sprockets becomming available. He owns a milling machine, and had no problem drilling a precise 3-hole pattern.

Jim

marioaz

Dec 15, 2008
Prescott, Arizona
Just bought a new Point Beach from Wal Mart and a Grubee GT-4 from USABikes in Tucson. Kit arrrived in less than 24 hours UPS (I'm in Prescott, 200 miles north).
The rear hub is round and calipers measure 1.185, or about 1 3/16".
Elliptical? Anyone else have a round hub? What about the Jaguar?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
:confused: I could have sworn I read a post that mentioned that the PB rear hub was eliptical. :confused: I didn't check yet, so I just threw it out there. :oops: Gotta do some work on the bikes today anyway so I'll check. :D
Grouchy,

You are not mistaken!!! You did see that the Point Beach has an elliptical hub. You saw it on my site. The first bike I motorized was a Point Beach...It had an elliptical hub, so I used it as an example of a bike that could not use one of my adapters. I had a customer call the other day to let me know they had recently bought a Point Beach and the hub was cylindrical. Schwinn has changed the rear wheel for the better. The Jaguar I have has a cylindrical hub also.

Jim

DasKapitan

Jul 27, 2008
Birchwood, WI
www.cetaceanmarine.com
Jim - Your creative engineering stuff is beautiful work. I can't use your hub adapter in my application, but the engine accessories are definately on my get list. Is there an intake manifold for angled engine installations in the future? Also could you elaborate on the balancing services?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just bought a new Point Beach from Wal Mart and a Grubee GT-4 from USABikes in Tucson. Kit arrrived in less than 24 hours UPS (I'm in Prescott, 200 miles north).
The rear hub is round and calipers measure 1.185, or about 1 3/16".
Elliptical? Anyone else have a round hub? What about the Jaguar?
My Jag has an elliptical hub. It's not a dramatic ellipse but it is larger diameter on the outboard ends than in the middle. Sorry, battery went dead in my caliper so I can't give you an accurate measurement but it is easy to see. Both front and rear hubs are ellipitical and carry the brand name QUANDRO, stamped into the hub. The Jag is about 2 months old, purchased at Target. So what gives? Are they using whatever hubs they have or is there differences in production runs?
Tom

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
I think a great resource is a local bike shop and not the big box stores. IMO there's no sense trying to reinvent the wheel or the hub, just replace it with one that works.

trson

Sep 13, 2008
How is the CreativeEngineering adapter on a Schwinn OCC compared to the Schwinn OCC sprocket adapter from livefastmotors in terms of stability and durability (length of time without the need for adjustment)?

myke

Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
Jim,

How goes the progress with the jag motor mount kit? any feed back from the prototype?

myke

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
DasKapitan...Down_South,

Thank You!

"How is the CreativeEngineering adapter on a Schwinn OCC compared to the Schwinn OCC sprocket adapter from livefastmotors in terms of stability and durability (length of time without the need for adjustment)?"

trson,

I have no idea...I've never had the livefastmotors product. I can assure you that mine requires no adjustment after installation. As far as durabilty goes; It will outlast any other component on your bike.

"My Jag has an elliptical hub. It's not a dramatic ellipse but it is larger diameter on the outboard ends than in the middle. Sorry, battery went dead in my caliper so I can't give you an accurate measurement but it is easy to see. Both front and rear hubs are ellipitical and carry the brand name QUANDRO, stamped into the hub. The Jag is about 2 months old, purchased at Target. So what gives? Are they using whatever hubs they have or is there differences in production runs?
Tom"

Tom,

This is truly painfull to hear! It sounds like you have the same wheel on your Jaguar as I had last summer on the Point Beach. Now I'll have to go through the whole mess of having to ask people to check the type, and measurement of thier hub prior to ordering a kit. The pain...I had hoped I could just make a no hassle kit for a bike. I guess I'm going to have to choose a solid manufacturer that won't switch things up on a whim.

"Jim,

How goes the progress with the jag motor mount kit? any feed back from the prototype?

myke"

Myke,

The Jag kit is nearly finished...I'll keep you posted!

Jim