oldscool

Sep 4, 2014
tennessee
Hello People!
I've lurked here for several years ,
but lately its got serious.
I sold my DRZ400SM about a year ago
and its left me with an itch.
Many searches and re-searches have gave me direction.
My inspiration comes from CCC, scotto, bigbill, atombikes etc.
My plans include a 4.82 c.i. 4-stroke... can you tell where this is going?
Lovin it! Thanks all!
.spr.

oldscool

Sep 4, 2014
tennessee
Thanks Dan... Looking for info on an " un-corked 79cc predator" (i.e. 4.89 ci).
Mainly the set-up for east tennessee hilly terrain .
I really dont want a shifter. I think I would be happy with 30mph top speed
on level ground. Is this possible ?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Big time easy peasy. My main MB is a 79cc. But on flatground, 30 MPH is pretty easy and probably a good choice for hilly areas. Ya want that low end power.

With mine and folks do say I am mistaken, but I have only disconnected the external governor actuator and have not removed the (internal) governor components. AGK is a member here and has a great how to on his web page to remove it. (Is the gov removal what you mean by "uncorked"?)

With just what I have done, she turns just under 5,000 RPM. On a good day does 40 MPH.

But a major bummer about the HFs (79 & 99cc's) is they are really wide if you put em inframe. You can help the engine up a hill but you dang sure don't wanna pedal one home. But they are both grunt/torque monsters.

I, myself would go with a Honda GXH50 or the HS clone. (Honda first but 300+bucks, last I looked)

With the Honda or clone, much less fabricating needed and they are thinner.

Here is a calculator if you are fabing your own reduction/power transmision;

http://jimsitton.net/ratiocalc/

And this is a build for a 79cc, for thoughts only; (really love the mounting but it slipped)

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=23871&page=2

oldscool

Sep 4, 2014
tennessee
Hey Dan, by un-corked I mean Free flowing intake and exhaust
and possibly after-market carb. And why would you go with
the Honda or HS?

EDIT: Read post again and caught the reason for the honda

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Donor bike (frame, maybe seatpost clamp):-||

Awesome looking frame and fork. Is all but screaming for an inframe tank and a worksman drum brake front wheel. Sorry, really like that bike and ya got me going.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=17323

"Hey Dan, by un-corked I mean Free flowing intake and exhaust
and possibly after-market carb. And why would you go with
the Honda or HS?"

OIC, I have no experience with alternative carbs. I've experimented with opening up the intakes but didn't make much of a difference with pipes/lawnmower mufflers. But was not an exhaustive research at all.

LOL, My exhaust with the Riverside build is I welded copper bushings to conduit. Really, really badly and people laughed at me and asked; "You welded what to what!? Then asked me to hit it with a hammer. I did and it held but bent it out of shape. Was really funny and then used a plumber's rubber blow bag for a muffler.

On the Honda/HS as opposed to the HFs. Just easier to get your legs around to pedal. Is more legal in most places and you can buy mounts for em and now you can buy clutches for em.

The HFs, Greyhound and Predator are both awesome. (Pred is a much better choice. same physical size, more cc and better quality. IMVHO)

The Honda 50 is the best choice but the carb needs conversion to cable throttle. The HS has almost the same RPM range as the Honda, is almost as smooth and the carb is cable ready.

Is just a what compromises work best for what you want. Honestly, of those 4 engines, you can't go wrong and they are the 4 most popular for what I said and more.

My personal choice would still be the Honda. But it is the most expensive.

If we lived next door and had hung out for yrs, I would suggest getting a China Girl first. Gets yer feet wet so to speak and for less then $200 bucks, is an awesome learning tool. And when ya run out of gas or have engine trouble, ya pop off the chain and can pedal home as a 2 smoke doesn't require you to use wide pedal cranks.

LOL OldSchool, I am gonna get so jumped on for this!

.wee.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, OS. We keep typing at the same time.

Please do remember, any all of this, are just my opinions and thoughts. Read, read and ask others.

I like to think we are all just students of varying degrees.....

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Would a DRZ400 supermoto make a good freeway commuter if I add a bigger fuel tank?

oldscool

Sep 4, 2014
tennessee
The DRZ's are very dependable .... would make a nice commuter bike.
As long as you live less than 50mi. from work.
The problem is the narrow seat. Your butt would wear out before
you ran out of gas.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
well I sometimes commute to work, 68 mile round trip, on a an old Honda C102 with a 125cc pitbike clone engine driving it, Guess that makes me sort of nuts...