Will this full suspension bike hold a motor?

GoldenMotor.com

MopedLover

Feb 20, 2014
Flagstaff, Arizona
Hey guys, sorry about that last post without any pics, I guess a moderator got to it first and had it deleted.

Anyways here's a picture included.

I saw this mountain bike on craigslist and I'm wondering if it's possible to mount a Chinagirl without too much fabrication involved.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Attachments

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Looks a bit tight,
You'd need to work out a different inlet manifold and rear engine mount then you might get a china girl to squeeze in there, but then you'd likely have chain tension issues, nice bike.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hey guys, sorry about that last post without any pics, I guess a moderator got to it first and had it deleted...
Not deleted, just waiting to be validated by staff - it's just an automated part of our anti-spam protection, any links posted by new members get checked to be sure it isn't something scammy is all. Yes, it's an exciting task filled with adventure & new friends lol

Sorry 'bout that, in any case it'll go away once you've made a couple few posts :)

Welcome to the forum BTW ;)

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
This is a thought and only a thought but could you design and manufacture a high tensile or spring loaded tensioner ,be a lot of clearances you would have to consider ,but a jack shifter kit would do the job well IMHO can you ask the seller for internal frame dimensions before you pull the trigger ,she looks a tad pricey is all

EDIT having another look at it be aware of the top swing arm on the frame ( top suspension arm ) it looks fairly tight and there's no clearance whatsoever for a chain to run through so the only option you would have is to fit a shifter kit to it ,and be aware of frame flex , I heard a tale of a mate who tried to fit a motor on an atx990 giant ,managed to fit it but destroyed the frame after a few months due to rear end flex because the pull was directed on one side and the spring just couldn't take it , they aren't designed to have any side flex whatsoever and shatter like glass when put under this stress ,this was a bike built for downhill Salem as well ,so if you fit aa kit you need to adjust the suspension spring accordingly
Good luck

Regards Henshooter

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
ok
I'll be the negative thunk on this one...

I do not think the amount of work necessary would warrant use of a chinagirl in this bicycle.

IMO
Chinagirl is a cheap date and not worth a bunch of work.

If you were to use one of the clone 4 strokes I would really like to see pics of your workmanship when done!
Best
rc

AND, Thanks for the endless work you and the others do here, BA.
It's an excellent board, all the way 'round!

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
It looks sketchy on the seat tube being s-shaped like that. I built 2 bikes using a GT LTS frame and both use a shift kit. One of them is a KTM clone and the other is a China Girl. The GT LTS may be the best choice for a motorized full suspension bike. If you keep an eye on Ebay and Craigs List you can find them at a fair price, I found one for $175. They also made one version with an s-shaped seat post that wont work, look for the ones with a straight seat post. They were also available in aluminum or cromoly, my KTM is Cromo and I like it more but the alum is fine. You will need the 19" frame size at least for enuff room to fit the engine, both mine are the large 21".

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Any bike can be motorized, just maybe not in-frame mounting.
I've had 3 of those Pro-Flex MTB's & loved them all but never motorized them (before I got into motor bicycling).
I'm fond of top tube mounting lately.
-Lowracer-

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
I really want a gas motor and make it look kind of like a mini-motard with fenders and everything.
Many will preach against fenders on a motorised , it's all about reinforcement , strong anchor points , and anti vibration attachments , be very careful mate

Regards Henshooter. brnot