New guy with a CL find.

GoldenMotor.com

1125rebel

Apr 26, 2012
Cajunland,LA
So after looking for a bike for my daughter on CL, I found this guy selling this motorrized bike. Never had one don't know anthing about them but I have a couple motorcycles and like to tinker with things. He was asking $250 for it with the clutch and engine mount problems, So I offered $100. Two days later I went and picked it up.
Soon after I got called to go to work (offshore) for two weeks. Before I left I did notice that it was going to need a sprocket clutch cover, clutch cable and the spark plug boot.
Found this site and has got my mine racing with ideas. After checking into it the bike is a cheap OP bike from Walmart that sells for what I got the whole thing for, but I can live with that. I'm not even sure of what motor and all is in it but he said it was a cheap kit from ebay. I have about 10 more days out here on the water t0 figure out what i'm going to do with it and how much money i'm willing to put in to it.
I do have one picture of it.
I've got some reading to do now.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Welcome aboard 11,
Most all my chinagirl stuff has come from CL.
It seems you have found a deal. Good luck with completion!
rc

1125rebel

Apr 26, 2012
Cajunland,LA
Thanks for the welcomes.
Its Killing me, I'm not sure of the parts I need to order so maybe I want have to wait on back orders.
Hope to find a good sponsor on here that keeps parts in stock.

Bryson England

Apr 25, 2012
Mineralwells, WV
It looks like you need a clutch cable, a muffler, a gear cover, etc. It might be cheaper to buy a new kit from gasbike.net. If your daughter is young, you may want yo reconsider. These are not toys and require a bit of mechanical aptitude and rider skill. They can be fun and reliable .

1125rebel

Apr 26, 2012
Cajunland,LA
It looks like you need a clutch cable, a muffler, a gear cover, etc. It might be cheaper to buy a new kit from gasbike.net. If your daughter is young, you may want yo reconsider. These are not toys and require a bit of mechanical aptitude and rider skill. They can be fun and reliable .
lol, I was looking for her a bike when I found this one for me. My wife and I have a couple Electras and I try to keep my eye out for a 20" for my daughter.

Kinda what I was considering, If I could get this one going or it would be cheaper to just get another complete kit.

Evil_Dooher

Apr 26, 2012
Palm Springs, CA
Honestly I would buy a complete kit from one of the reputable dealers. It's worth it just to have the extra parts. Like tonight riding home from work I'm pretty sure I lost my piston. Now it's going to cost at least $30 for piston, rings, gaskets, and add shipping to that. For $100 including the bike you got yourself a parts engine for the new engine you buy

Evil_Dooher

Apr 26, 2012
Palm Springs, CA
Btw, your engine is mounted incorrectly, and your coaster brake (the only brake you have) is disconnected. You are going to want to go over the whole bike before you put rubber to road, unless you want to put face to street.

1125rebel

Apr 26, 2012
Cajunland,LA
Btw, your engine is mounted incorrectly, and your coaster brake (the only brake you have) is disconnected. You are going to want to go over the whole bike before you put rubber to road, unless you want to put face to street.
Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, but if I can get it back together for cheap, I will. If not the kids can peddle around the neighborhood on it.
Maybe I'll find a few parts on here.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
welcome to the site youll find all you need here and then some. you got a great deal, you can get it running for cheap, if its not siezed up. if your serious about the hobby then i would recomend spending the money to buy a motor from a reputible dealer and using the one you got for parts or another build. youll gain build experience,wont be frustrated with somone elses probs then youll get the bug for more builds. anyway good luck.

HollywoodHooligan

Apr 15, 2012
Los Angeles
I started with this extremely addictive hobby exactly as you did bought a used bike with motor from a guy on CL anyhow by a week later i had pretty much took the whole thing apart and put it back together...hey at least yours has pedals haha i had to push mine to start it haha anyhow i dont regret that first bike whats so ever i learned the ins and outs from the mistakes (previous owners and my own) and like mentioned before i got extra parts to boot anyhow welcomme to your new obsession

1125rebel

Apr 26, 2012
Cajunland,LA
Sounds good guys, when I get back on land I'm going to check the compression on it and figure out if parts or a new kit is what I need.
I'll be in and out with a few questions as this happens.