Prepping for the 1st build

GoldenMotor.com

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I have a thread that im updating as I go now. In the mountain bike area. I actually went ahead and took the head off. Well.. I took the cylinder off too cause I thought it was part of the head. Buut I found a bunch of gunk black stuff. No metal shavings Im pretty sure though. I think the black stuff is from the cylinder gasket.

If you're curious it's the flying horse 66cc from bikeberry. But I got a silver instead of black.. enough to prevent me from shopping there again. I really wanted black -.-

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I have a thread that im updating as I go now. In the mountain bike area. I actually went ahead and took the head off. Well.. I took the cylinder off too cause I thought it was part of the head. Buut I found a bunch of gunk black stuff. No metal shavings Im pretty sure though. I think the black stuff is from the cylinder gasket.

If you're curious it's the flying horse 66cc from bikeberry. But I got a silver instead of black.. enough to prevent me from shopping there again. I really wanted black -.-
A picture is worth 1000 words when it comes to describing gunk! LOL

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
its just crappy spraypaint for the most part anyway
go to your local autoparts store and get some engine or high temp cans...there now its black and better paint then they would use anyway

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I wanted black at first too but because they seem hard to find I just went with the regular "silver". Funny, I forgot all about wanting it to be black for some reason, just dont care. Also, I have seen some black motors that have chipped up and look pretty crappy so I am fine with no paint... If I was gonna go all fancy I would go for the chrome, seems less likely to chip and look funky...

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
It's a bit more work putting things back together, but I would pull the cylinder as well and make sure it's all good. The manufacturing waste left over around the ports can come loose and kill your motor. I had it happen after a fair bit of riding time, here's the first post with pics of what happened to my first motor when some of that junk came loose.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder

There's a picture, can't really see it with the flash though but there was a fair amount.
That's good to hear about the paint though, Just gotta stuff the holes and paint away!

I did pull the cylinder because I thought it was part of the head. Took me foreverrrr to get it back on because I didn't realize there were those little groove things that the piston rings are supposed to be ligned up with before you can squeeze it down. Got it done succesfully though and cleaned it.
Turns out my bike is far to small. I figured it would be. It's a "small" frame and me being 6'1" I really need a bigger one. I may take this oppurtunity to paint it the way I want and replace parts and things before running the motor. I find it odd that the crank and piston look to be of a decent quality. Shiny machined metal, but the rest is shoddy chipped up aluminum.

This is the thread I'm using as I go now:
http://motorbicycling.com/f42/motorizing-schwinn-35621.html
Won't be a schwinn though anymore I guess. Fiddle sticks. Hopefully I find a good bike soon. Not ready to slap 300 bucks down for the trek 820 in the middle of winter.