Helmet question for Massachusettes Riders

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Im about to finish My bike, the Motorized bicycle info on DMV says must wear helmet...Bike helmet or DOT type helmet ?
Cheers

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
More than likely a bicycle helmet will suffice, but I would ask the DMV before spending any money.

Just my opinion...If you plan on riding fast I would go the MC helmet route.

I like a simple DOT open face, with visor, and impact resistant sunglasses.

This is, of course, just my preference...and many will argue up or down on what's really best.

bellhelmets.com: Bell RT

Jim

junked

May 2, 2010
Mass.
Depending where you live these bikes can be a cop magnet. I use a DOT half helmet and glasses. I don't want, and have not had any trouble with the law. As far as I know, a DOT approved helmet is required. You are riding a Moped, not a "bicycle".

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
I wear a full motorcycle helmet. I wear it not so much because of my speed, but because of the speed of the cars that could hit me. If I get hit by a car going 45 it would be the same as jumping out of a pickup truck going 45 and hitting a parked car. Thats my logic. Also, I could be wrong, but it seems that the MC helmet also acts as a fuzz deterrent too.

Pat

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a side note. I find that cars assume you are going bicycle speeds with a bike helmet and give you a second look with a stouter or MC looking helmet. Subtle clue your going faster then 10 MPH. Also, I just feel better and enjoy the ride feeling that much more protected. But am seeing more and more cool, MC looking bicycle helmets.

Mine cost $50 bucks but can tell the difference on vary rare occasions I forget to put it on by the way car traffic reacts to me.

Attachments

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thanks,
Now I just printed out the registration application what are you guys using for a VIN #

Cheers

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
In Mass for a registered moped/motorcycle, a DOT helmet is required.

I used the ser# on my bike and added blocks of zeros to fill in the required number of digits. I believe they required 17 digits.

As someone said in another post. Wear a helmet that will protect only the part of your head you want to save.

Last edited: