Worksman In-Frame Tanks

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I have been hinting about this for awhile now and here it is. My very first Worksman in-frame gas tank. I really sweated the "look" of this tank and had to make sure I got it right. I looked to the 1920's boardtrack racers for inspiration. Don't worry, this will not be the only one. I am planning a short run of these tanks. Tanks are CAD designed, stainless steel construction, laser cut, tig welded, and hand finished.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here is the bottom detail of the tank. Petcocks can be configured 10mm for a typical motor kit petcock or for 1/8" npt. Frame clamps and button head bolts are stainless steel.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here is the cap and bung detail. The cap is CNC machined aluminum with an internal vent system. The bung is CNC machined out of stainless and precision tig welded to the tank.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Now when I say I sweated the details to get the right "look" with this tank I really ment it. My brother Rich gets a lot of credit here as he really doesn't care if he hurts my feelings (kidding Rich). I can always get an objective answer from him and he has a real eye for the history of things. We bounced a lot of ideas back and forth and he saw and commented on each of the rejects. Justin from Pirates also had some design input. Here are the ones that didn't make the cut and the one on the right in the first photo that was selected as the best of the bunch. Oh well, back to the shop to work on my new line of fully ported stainless steel intake manifolds.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
SUWEEEET! Great job Sport!

I want one an don't own a work mans (yet)

The hand finish really shows

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
OOOhhhhhh Man,

Thank You Pat and
Thank You Rich!!!

I cant wait to get this going again now.. The Worksman 123 Project continues. This post just made my day Pat!

Absolutely Phenomenal Work. Please update me when the Pirate Stickers arrive for the tanks. I hope you ordered at least 50 of those stickers Pat. Hint Hint. Can't wait to see them.

I would love to continue to fill those open spaces on your calender when they become available. In other words Pat, if you even get a little slow, I'll take 10 more of those tanks.... Just Phenomenal. WOW.. American made Rocks!!!

I love that this place brings so many talented people together...

Thanks
Justin

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
How much does that hold? My first thought is that the back end may be a little wide for peddling normally- could it be narrowed there-

the workmanship and machining looks top notch! Can these be mass produced?

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Justin,
You'll be the first to see the Pirate decals so I know you'll like them.

Nashville Kat,
Good questions. The capacity was less than I expected. Cad is great for figuring that out and the tank can hold 1.17 gallons exactly. I run less than full in all my tanks. The rear width of the tank is just 2 1/2" wide which is the same width as the rear chain stays where they meet the seat post tube. The center section measures 4 3/4" and the nose is 2" wide. My Panther tanks are 4 1/2" wide and present no problem with pedaling. It is absolutely a non issue. I added a 1/4" in width (1/8" each side) on theWorksman tanks so I could go to a different cap assembly with the breather already built in. This cap also comes with the stainless bung. I add the breather on the Panther caps and it is just one more step I would rather not have to do. The tank will probably look smaller once the bike is built up. I just can't make it any narrower. Mass produced? No. Carefully hand built one at a time to gurantee your build will stand out in the crowd? Absolutely!

wheelstand matty

Sep 3, 2009
grafton hill, wormtown mass
Now when I say I sweated the details to get the right "look" with this tank I really ment it. My brother Rich gets a lot of credit here as he really doesn't care if he hurts my feelings (kidding Rich). I can always get an objective answer from him and he has a real eye for the history of things. We bounced a lot of ideas back and forth and he saw and commented on each of the rejects. Justin from Pirates also had some design input. Here are the ones that didn't make the cut and the one on the right in the first photo that was selected as the best of the bunch. Oh well, back to the shop to work on my new line of fully ported stainless steel intake manifolds.

AWESOME !!! very well designed and executed, NICE WORK. Looking foreward to working with these tanks on our worksman builds..wee.

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Its all coming together now Kevron. Wait and see the road racer packages. They will be insane!!! Pair that with a stage 2 or 3 and you'll be sailing with the Pirates. I think I just had a vision of your new avatar.

Hang on it gets better! Jim is making us some motor mounts specifically for the stage motors. The mounts will be universal for a wide variety of bikes including the worksmans. The motors will be harnessed properly to the frame and like all of Jim's parts they will look great too.

For the end result you will get one great looking rocket ship of a bike that will turn heads wherever you go..

We are staying busy Kevron and will keep you posted.

Thanks
Justin

Last edited:

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I have been hinting about this for awhile now and here it is. My very first Worksman in-frame gas tank. I really sweated the "look" of this tank and had to make sure I got it right. I looked to the 1920's boardtrack racers for inspiration. Don't worry, this will not be the only one. I am planning a short run of these tanks. Tanks are CAD designed, stainless steel construction, laser cut, tig welded, and hand finished.

I really like the finish on these tanks. It looks to me (second picture) as if the top curve starts a little too soon on the tank. It may be just the photo itself, or "Me". I know making these tanks is an art and I'm not trying to be to critical.... just an observation.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
RedB66,
That's a good observation. Let just say I have learned to be conservative on the fit. This first tank also does not have the rubber cushions between the frame tube and tank in these pictures. These push the tank up and back 1/16" to an 1/8". The CAD program was changed in a couple areas for the next three tanks which I built up this past weekend. I stretched the tank a 1/4" longer and then made it an 1/8" taller at the back end. I also removed some of the flat pattern notching that the CAD program adds. These notches must be filled when welding and that affects finish quality. The next ones are a tighter fit. I may do this subtle massaging one more time, maybe not. I have to account for potential production tolerence variations from Worksmans as well as from me. One last thing to remember is that I have always called the finish "paint grade" which is my little disclaimer. If you want a perfect tank then give it a perfect paint job. The hand finish is very clean but if you over analyze it you will find slight imperfections. That said, I have easily built over a dozen tanks now and I am only aware of two that have been painted. Everybody likes the finish raw. Should I be saving a tank for you?

Last edited:

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
I love your tanks, but....I need variation and can't afford to buy something that isn't exactly what I want for the price (buildind several bike with different style tanks. How about a small narrow rectangular tank that will fit into the worksman frame that I then build my own cover around. All the tank would need would be a nice offset filler and cap and offset fuel exit at the bottom that a standard cut off whatever they call it could screw into. This tank could be used in both regular and stretched versions as it does not have to be full lenght (will be covered). Tthe tank could have posts for hanging on the frame.