worst Muffler mod ever

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Playing around one day, I stuck a lawn mower muffler on a heater hose and pressed it to the muffler of a chinagurl. Awesome sound. Today, I went to fix a bad exhaust gasket and the hose and LM muffler were still hanging there. I had an old MB muffler so I cut the L off and put the heater hose on it. Didn't work well at all! snork. But does have a funky sound and I might retry this. (took me months to try this time) Much better low end but had all sorts of leaks fixed by the time I tried the hose. If any thing, a decrease in top end. Only cool part so far is the sound and ease of leading the "pipe" Have it ziptied under the BB. 2 Door asked me if I could smell smoke. Ayup!, and it would melt if kept this way. On a full muffler, it makes a "Thump, thump" sound. As is, is just loud 2stroke MB but when you let off the gas, it grumbles like a MC.

Gonna redo it in the morning. Here is a vid for sound, but just sounds like a 2 stroke at low revs. mufflermodvid.flv video by dan3xd - Photobucket

(is just play and seeing what can be done with junk parts)

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not good HM, not good. lol I have it way to close to the engine. I am thinking an expansion chamber of sorts then the hose. Dunno.

going shopping today for parts to do your oil change mod for the Honda. That is awesome.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
thats cool,you should take a regular muffler gut the inside and mount it in stock location,
use it for a expansion chamber,then run a hose from that to the back and then your small muffler.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Exactly what I was thinking CF. Not doing much now, the way it is except for sapping power and making loud. Ran out of old stock mufflers so am gonna try just try hose clamping it to a cat muffler. Be cool if this works. The MC hose for this is really expensive.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Spad. I was going to say I was looking for the "thump thump sound, but this is cooler and a lot cheaper then MC flex tube. Even if not for this, great find and thanks for finding another option for all of us

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I'm going to try it, if I can find some at the local motorcycle shops. I don't want to wait for it, so if not, I'll just probably get a torch and bend this sucker. I'm sure it would fit if the motor was mounted normally on the downtube like intended. Mine is mounted to a bracket on the dt and clamped on the seat tube, so the muffler hits.

This flex pipe looks awesome though. If it works, I'll try to get the vendor to stock it, which sold me the kit originally.

This is what you want .
fd10x