Which rear hub is the best?

GoldenMotor.com

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I got a new bike wheel but it has a very cheap looking hub on it. I was thinking on either switching it with the Bendix on my shot wheel or maybe getting a better one, if there is one.

The Bendix is a coaster brake but I wouldn't mind a 2-3 speed, if there was something better to put on for these bikes. I also figure that if and when I put another hub on it, I'd also put stainless steel spokes on it too.....never done that, it couldn't be that hard could it?

So my question is, what hub holds up well with these bikes? Any opinions?

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
I have not bought these yet but am seriously considering them. Not exactly what you asked but just an option

http://shop.firebellycycles.com/cat...87F82F59E999B4FDED2.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=3 Tyrslider is very knowledgeable.

Really like the idea of a Dynamo hub for the front.
Those look like nice hubs.

Since I've been into the hub thing, I'm going to teach myself how to swap out my Schwinn hub, put on stainless steel spokes, and learn how to true the wheel.

I imagine that it's alright, as long as a decent hub of some sort is used and as long as it can be reworked, but more important is the strength of the wheel. At least that's what it seems to be anyway. I think that learning to true a wheel will be more challenging than anything, but it interests me just the same.

Some day down the road, as knowledge of better hubs go, I'll invest in some. Until then, I'll try and get past the hard part first and learn something new for a change.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
When it comes to single speed coaster brake hubs they don't get any better than the Bendix. The Old Red band hubs are bullet proof and even the later model made in Mexico hubs are better than anything currently being offered.

ocscully

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Mines one of those red band bendix hubs. I took it apart and it sure beats the makeup of the cheapo on my new rim! That bendix is beefy and looks like it could withstand anything thrown at it!

After seeing those bendix hubs on EBay, I wish I had a boat load of them.............quite a market on them!