Have any of you ever taken your bike across country?

GoldenMotor.com

cserpico

Jan 2, 2015
illinois
First I want to say I love this forum. You guys have all been awesome and I look lurking through the threads. It's all been so helpful and I am learning a lot.
I am still breaking my bike in and it is my first build but my original intention when building it is to take it from Illinois to Arkansas and back. I would like to attempt this by summer at the latest but preferably mid spring.
If I don't have any problems during that trip then I would eventually like to take it out west and see some desert.
Seeing the country nice and slow and being in it rather than just passing through it appeals to me a whole lot. Have any of you done anything like this? If so some tips would be great, also just some stories about your experience would be awesome.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
There's one member from Canada that does this (can't remember his name at the moment) on a yearly basis. Sounds like a cool and free-spirited way to do a vacation! Just remember to carry extra parts......

The only way that mine has traveled cross-country is on the back of my car. I do know that I never quite figured out the carb adjustment for running over 8000ft --- ran like crappola. However, that may solve itself when I put an RT carb on it this Spring, we'll see!

Best of luck in your adventures!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
It's a homemade concoction of 3/4" copper tubing, fittings, and a 3/4" old riding mower muffler with a bit of steel wool to 'mellow' the tone --- brazed then wrapped with an epoxy tape-like substance. It works very well. I've had the OE type muffler, an SBP expansion chamber, and my frankenstein on the bike. I like the frankenstein the best. Maybe not as much power as with the expansion chamber, but it sounds much better.

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
I have not tried a cross country run but I have done several long weekend rides. All of them have been along the Great River Road.

I have a small fleet of bikes. We usually take 4 guys. My favorite trip is from Prairie Du Chien WI to Lacrosse WI which is about 60 miles each way.

We take enough gear to camp on the Island in Lacrosse and then ride back the next day. The Great River Road follows the Mississippi River the whole way and there is a shoulder to ride on 99% of the ride.

We have a trip planned for Memorial Day Weekend in the Alton, Grafton and St Louis area, It will also be on the GRR but will include ferry rides and rides along the river in both the Illinois and Missouri sides.

Last edited:

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I would love to be able to even entertain the idea, Ill just have to wait till they make 1million Ah batteries that dont take a week to charge ;)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I always wanted to do a long run for charity. Tow a pop up camper trailer and sleep in police dept. parking lots or campsites etc.

Be a great excuse to do a long one. Be fun and good for other folks. win/win.

cserpico

Jan 2, 2015
illinois
I have not tried a cross country run but I have done several long weekend rides. All of them have been along the Great River Road.

I have a small fleet of bikes. We usually take 4 guys. My favorite trip is from Prairie Du Chien WI to Lacrosse WI which is about 60 miles each way.

We take enough gear to camp on the Island in Lacrosse and then ride back the next day. The Great River Road follows the Mississippi River the whole way and there is a shoulder to ride on 99% of the ride.

We have a trip planned for Memorial Day Weekend in the Alton, Grafton and St Louis area, It will also be on the GRR but will include ferry rides and rides along the river in both the Illinois and Missouri sides.
That sounds so fulfilling. Maybe I should start with a shorter ride and see how it goes from there. The further I have gone so far is kind of deep into indiana from illinois. I couldn't say how many miles it was but it would have been about a 2 and a half hour car ride and I really wanted to go farther but I was absolutely freezing.

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
Gotta say, it would be really cool to do a cross country trip on a China girl. I know some guys from mopedarmy.com did it on mopeds and recorded the whole ordeal, that looked sweet.

Because you become a part of the landscape and if you were to be more involved, a part of the people, you can learn a lot by traveling this way. Ernesto "Che" Guevarra, transformed into the person we know now as he became aware of the injustices the poor were faced with during his motorcycle trip in South America.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motorcycle_Diaries_(book)

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
Not to say you'll become a communist, but it would be a great experience if you were to learn about the locals and cities you travel through.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Joey, Both lines are great! too funny

"...and recorded the whole ordeal, that looked sweet." & "Not to say you'll become a communist,"

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I am looking at doing a competition a few states away. One of my ideas has been to ride there, compete, and return on the same bicycle. Someone mentioned doing it for charity, this is the motivation for a lot of my more epic jouneys in life. I do it silently but that will be part of the motovation if I ride to and from the race is I always contribute funds to the charities I select for each event. If you do it please share your story!

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
We also took a loop ride from East Cape Girardeau IL to Grand Tower IL. Rode the Levee road one way and the Great River Road on the way back. Great sight seeing trip. About a 55 mile ride. Lots of stops along the way. Our ride to Cario IL got rained out the next day.

Wish I knew how to post more pictures.

Great hobby. The reason I build so many bikes is I got so many friends that want to ride too but can't build there own bike.

Attachments

cserpico

Jan 2, 2015
illinois
We also took a loop ride from East Cape Girardeau IL to Grand Tower IL. Rode the Levee road one way and the Great River Road on the way back. Great sight seeing trip. About a 55 mile ride. Lots of stops along the way. Our ride to Cario IL got rained out the next day.

Wish I knew how to post more pictures.

Great hobby. The reason I build so many bikes is I got so many friends that want to ride too but can't build there own bike.
You are an awesome friend and that looks so fun.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I dont know when I would be able to start a second bike... seems like all my resources and time go into getting my only bike completed. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel though, seems closer every day :)

Thats really awesome that you guys do that. Perhaps If I built a side car and filled it with batteries...

bill2781

May 24, 2013
okmulgee OKlahoma
me and a buddy of mine has done 100 miles on our china girls . several times the long rides you will want to stop and rest the bike and walk around trust me after 50 miles or so your back side and legs will want a break lol but still its been a lot of fun . i know i am looking forword to this year of riding cant weight tell this cold stuff is gone :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a thought but for a marathon ride, 4 smokes are a wee bit easier on the body and hands. LOL, well ya stop vibrating a lil quicker anyway.

But a 4 stroke, inframe is not some thing ya wanna pedal any distance, if any at all. Even with the chain off, it is not fun.

(2 & 4 smokes. Medical MotorBiking)