Lucky find! 110cc motorcycle engine, CHEAP!

GoldenMotor.com

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I was driving back home from Lowes today and saw a moving sale sign. I figured the sale was over because it was mid day on Sunday, but I figured I'd check it out cause it was only 1 block from my house.
I pulled up in front of the drive and the first thing I see, right by the road, was a small motorcycle engine.
I thought he would be asking too much for it, but When I walked up to it, the guy came right out and said he'd take $25 for it!... So, I brought it home.
I figured at that price, I couldn't lose.
He said it is a 4 stroke 110cc with a 3 speed transmission and electric start!
When I got it home, I hooked a battery up to the starter, and it cranked right over!
Later, i built a quick motor stand so i could work on it and test it. then I took a spare motorized bicycle cdi and figured out which wires to connect to get spark.
I put a little fuel in the carb bowl and got it to fire.
I need to hook up a fuel tank, and see if I can get it to run now.

The motor is a Kikker 5150. Anyone familiar with them?
Will a china girl cdi work, or do I need something else?

Attachments

Last edited:

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I think what I would like to do with this engine eventually is to build some kind of Cycle-car.
I have had this idea floating around in my head since before I got into motor bicycling. I actually got into motor bicycling so that I could gain some knowledge hoping that building this would maybe be the next step.

I put some pics below, I really like the 3 wheeled versions.
I want to mount the engine on the rear, behind the driver, most of these show it on the front.
The diagram is almost exatly what I want to build.
I even found an old Popular mechanics artical on how to build it!
http://www.bright.org.uk/

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That may well be the best $25.00 you will ever have spent. Looks like a really nice engine and I, too, have plans in the works for a three wheeled cyclecar. What a great project!
SB

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Cool!
Have you started on it yet, or have any drawings of what you want to do?
I found a thread last night from Crazyhorse where he used this engine on a stretch! Lot of engine for a bicycle! Helpful thread though.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
CRAP!
I just found the perfect tadpole recumbant to use as a platform for this build!
Anyone got $1,800 to spare? haha!

All I would have to do is remove the quad petals, and add handlebars!

http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/4240135077.html

For later when the add is deleted, it said, "AngleTech Quadra-Ped Total Body

Recumbent Trike
*****the price for the bike is $1,800.00 (CASH ONLY!!) OR BEST OFFER*****

My dad purchased this bike back in 2000 for $5,000.00. He rode the bike for about a year but decided he was to large and did not fit comfortably on the trike. The bike has been sitting in our shed ever since. The frame is in great condition with no damage (as shown in the attached photos) but it looks like the gears and brakes will need work. We no longer have the space for the bike and we are selling it as is.

Please contact me if you are interested in looking at the trike by responding to the listing OR call/text me at (five1two) seven7nine-nine7eight8.

------------------------------------------------------------
Below is a description of the trike I found online:
Hands or feet intuitively steer by tilting the steering column left to steer left, right to steer right. Two internal drum brakes, actuated by the crank systems, do the primary braking in an even, smooth manner.
Additionally a standard parking brake is included operating off the rear. This brake also doubles as drag brake for those long downhill runs, keeping your speed in check. Adjustable sliding crank booms, and an easy sliding quick release seat facilitate a perfect fit."

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Cool!
Have you started on it yet, or have any drawings of what you want to do?
I found a thread last night from Crazyhorse where he used this engine on a stretch! Lot of engine for a bicycle! Helpful thread though.
I've mostly been thinking about it and setting aside donor parts.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=50364

What I'm pretty well settled on is the use of an inverted Grumman canoe for the body, a 200 CC (or thereabouts) electric start Honda clone linked to a CVT transmission, a motorcycle frame with rear wheel for the rear portion of the drive train. This will be a big project and worthy of long thought before anything is cut, welded, etc. I'd like to be able to run it legally as a motorcycle.
SB

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Yeah, your probably right. $1800 is way more than I am willing to spend on a donor anyway.
I'll have to learn to weld now! And find a couple of wrecked or busted donor motorcycles.
I love the upside down canoe idea.
I was going for something a little lighter.

I was thinking aluminum skeleton with a canvas cover in a shape similar to a canoe.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
I was driving back home from Lowes today and saw a moving sale sign. I figured the sale was over because it was mid day on Sunday, but I figured I'd check it out cause it was only 1 block from my house.
I pulled up in front of the drive and the first thing I see, right by the road, was a small motorcycle engine.
I thought he would be asking too much for it, but When I walked up to it, the guy came right out and said he'd take $25 for it!... So, I brought it home.
I figured at that price, I couldn't lose.
He said it is a 4 stroke 110cc with a 3 speed transmission and electric start!
When I got it home, I hooked a battery up to the starter, and it cranked right over!
Later, i built a quick motor stand so i could work on it and test it. then I took a spare motorized bicycle cdi and figured out which wires to connect to get spark.
I put a little fuel in the carb bowl and got it to fire.
I need to hook up a fuel tank, and see if I can get it to run now.

The motor is a Kikker 5150. Anyone familiar with them?
Will a china girl cdi work, or do I need something else?
good god man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 wow what a find !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all you need is a new set of rings and some minor porting and baaam !!!! you got the greatest small engine on this earth !!!!!!

the honda and clone 50 to 150cc motors are the best small motors on this planet !!! they are indistructable and will run forever ! there is also a slew of insane mods you can do if your into that and lots of aftermarket preformance mods and parts ! even an oil cooling system !

wow 25$ man !!! wow just wow !!!!

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
I've mostly been thinking about it and setting aside donor parts.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=50364

What I'm pretty well settled on is the use of an inverted Grumman canoe for the body, a 200 CC (or thereabouts) electric start Honda clone linked to a CVT transmission, a motorcycle frame with rear wheel for the rear portion of the drive train. This will be a big project and worthy of long thought before anything is cut, welded, etc. I'd like to be able to run it legally as a motorcycle.
SB
you will be more happy with the 110 3 speed modded up than you will be with the honda 200 or preddy 212 with a cvt, the 110 clone motor revs higher and has more power out the box than the preddy212 does and it has 3 speed tranny ! i think you would be more happy with that motor modded with a big boar kit 125cc and the 3 speed tranny than you would ever be with a 200cc auto, i hav run bolth motors in many differant configurations and let me tell you the 110 modded up will out rev out speed and out torque a preddy 212 with the same amount of money and work ito it ! that motor is specificaly designed to be run in mopeds, atv, atc, and dirt bikes... wear as the honda gx 160 and 200 and its clones are not they are made for equipment... they can be made quite powerfull with the right mods and transmition but will cost more than just using what you have and the end result wont be as good in my honest opinion.

put it this way .... i have a little honda atc 70cc version of that motor with a few mods and even in that heavy 3 wheeler frame it will blow away the average preddy 212 go kart or equivelent !!!! it wheelies no problem and goes about 45mph ! its only a 70cc version of that motor and it clearly has far more power than a 200cc honda gx style motor with cvt or centrifugal clutch.... you can even get a 4 or 5 speed manual clutch conversion kit for this type of motor.

Attachments

Last edited:

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
That thing is a clone of the most reliable and most sold mototcycle enging of all time. The Honda Cub engine. That thing will run forever. I have 4 honda Passports (cubs) and they are unstopable. They run great with very minimal effort of care.

Putting that on a bicycle would be crazy. That autocycle (three wheeled Velocar) would be pretty cool. Time consuming and maybe costly, but I think it would be pretty awesome!!!

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
what a score!!! for $25 bucks ..I like the 5150 ...you know that "5150" is cop code for gone completely insane?!

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
That's a pity because after reading this thread I was starting to feel really excited about your project. I've got a clone 110cc engine as well which I've been keeping on the shelf for a cyclecar project. Why don't you do the same, put it on the shelf and come back to it later.
I saw that you found the 20 pound car plans, that would be perfect for your engine and even today would still be a cheap build.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
The Craigslist recumbent trike accepted my $300 offer, so I am suppose to pick it up soon.
I am going to use that as is for a while, and eventually build a cycle car with it, but for now, I need to sell this engine because I am about to move to another state and need the extra cash.