Hello from Louisiana

GoldenMotor.com

joebesse

Oct 12, 2008
Louisiana
I am a new member of the forum and a retired senior citizen. I have a single speed Day 6 Bicycle which I bought this summer. I am interested in installing a motorized engine and would like to know if anyone on the forum has one of these bicycles or can give me some ideas on how to perform this feat. The Day 6 people have a conversion kit, but they want about $1500. for it and I think this is way too much and really out of my range. Thanks for any help given.

[email protected]

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Welcome to the forum Joe! I'm pretty much a newbie here myself so I don't have any answers for you but somebody here will I'm sure! In the meantime try doing some searches on the forum you might find some info that will help you! :)

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ah another wise man joins us :) Welcome to the Forum! I have not seen a day 6 bike. Is it a mens bike at least 24" frame? If so Thatsdax has a kit for 199.00 and not that hard to put in. Takes around 6 - 10 hours. Our members have years of experiance and we love to help each other! My personal bike has one of his kits, and never a problem. Some kits can be found on ebay but for service you will be hard pressed to beat thatsdax! As you know you get what you pay for.

joebesse

Oct 12, 2008
Louisiana
Hello to all of you guys who answered my initial inquiry. I went to thatsdax site, but I am not sure if one of his kits would fit on my bike. I have a single speed bike and you can look at the type of bike if have on: Day 6 Bicycles - Join The Comfort Bike Movement!. The ones they show on their website are 7 speed, but I live on the South Louisiana prairie and everything is flat here so I bought the last single speed bike they had in stock.

[email protected]

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Well Joe I have good news & bad news. The frame is a wonderful design, however I don't think you would want to go to the trouble mounting the motor would cause. Then theres the gas tank angle. Thatsdax has a "Titan" kit that would most likely work just fine. I could not get there web page to stop long enough to get an engineers look at it.
We members here at the forum can make almost anything work. My opinion is you would not be happy with a 2 stroke motor on that bike. Love the seat tho! (c)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I think you could mount a motor to that frame. But, like ST says you would have to mount your tank somewhere high enough for the fuel to reach the carb.
Second, you will have a very hot motor, it's going to be a pain getting on and off without burning yourself.

Like St said, a rear mount or rack mount motor may be a better option...or even a front mount motor.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
There are electric kits with the motor built into the hub. Not great on range but it would solve the engine mount problem. Just a thought.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
It's a comfort bike, so I would go for a comfort engine with a centrifugal clutch. A 2 stroke gas engine gives off a lot of vibration and noise. You can go for electric to give a more comfortable ride, but batteries drain their power as soon it leaves the charger. There's a 1000 watt motor available in ebay that would drive the chain. It would be the most simplest way to do, but cannot use it in wet or rain conditions. But if you still want a gas engine, rear mount would be a way to go. From the looks of you frame, I think a pocket bike engine with CVT is actually a direct fit. You can find a lot of Pocket bike engines on ebay. Deciding factors on what engine you want depends on how fast you want to go and how comfortable you want your ride would be. Once you have decided what engine you want, then plan on how to mount it. This can be a real challenge with the frame design of your bike, but eventually we all find our ways of mounting it one way or another. Here is a link of some small but powerful engines which you might find helpful:
Zenoah Engines, Chung Yang Engines, and Engine Parts

CajunTinMan

Nov 19, 2008
Louisiana
Well Hello to everyone too from Louisiana.
I am just getting into this myself but I do love reading all the information you guys have put out there. And Joebesse next time your looking at Teardrops in Iowa or want to get together to play some tunes give me a shout.

Charles

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Well Hello to everyone too from Louisiana.
I am just getting into this myself but I do love reading all the information you guys have put out there. And Joebesse next time your looking at Teardrops in Iowa or want to get together to play some tunes give me a shout.

Charles
Welcome to the forum Charles :)