DIY english wheel by request (Dan)

GoldenMotor.com

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I was jabberin in another thread an mentioned building an english wheel , Dan suggested this thread so , if anyone is not familiar with an english wheel they are used for forming nice round shapes in metal, for instance you can roll out tanks, fenders, fairings ,seat pans, basicly any shape that you need convex , or straighten small dents an dings in the same shapes an use little to zero filler to finish out your work .
one of our illustrous leaders, Dan found this link to one : https://www.google.com/search?q=bui....,cf.osb&fp=2303290c933ce3a0&biw=1024&bih=456 that is a perfect example of how they should look , mine is a example of how to make one with just leftover metal I had on hand .an a bearing press, its not the fancyest but it will work.
so here is what you need .
1. 1 8inch large flat roller with needle bearings an shaft
2. 1,3 inch 1/4 round face roller with needle bearings an shaft sourced at grainger or mc'mastercarr (cant remember exactly where I got them )
3. about 5 foot of 2 X 3/16 inch square steel tubing
4 about 18 inches X 3 of 1/2 inch plate
5.4 inches of 1 inch round steelbar an a welder
important these rollers must run true .
cut 3 12 inch peices of the tubeing an mount the small roller on one end of the tubing
at the other end of that tube make a mount frame by welding 2 peices across the bottom approximately 2 inches above the end without the roller.
be sure to keep things as level an plumb as posible.
the upper roll mount is fairly simple .
you need to make a mount for the large roller from a 3 inch peice of the tubeing an 2 peices of 1/2 plate drilled for the shaft be sure to keep the shaft in alingment, take a peice of the 1/2 in plate an weld it across the top of the 3 inch small peice then cut a peice of the steel bar about 1 1/2 long an weld to the center of that plate to fit into the press' reciever weld on a 12 inch peice to one side an attach mounting flanges an bolt that to the press.
I clamp the lower roller to my press an aligning that can be a bit of a pain but it works .
I am not real good at writing this kind of thing so I hope that the pics will help .
I am here to answer questions on this . build one an have fun shaping metal gentlemen.
DIY english wheel .

Attachments

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Are there any videos of how one is used.

I was jabberin in another thread an mentioned building an english wheel , Dan suggested this thread so , if anyone is not familiar with an english wheel they are used for forming nice round shapes in metal, for instance you can roll out tanks, fenders, fairings ,seat pans, basicly any shape that you need convex , or straighten small dents an dings in the same shapes an use little to zero filler to finish out your work .
one of our illustrous leaders, Dan found this link to one : https://www.google.com/search?q=bui....,cf.osb&fp=2303290c933ce3a0&biw=1024&bih=456 that is a perfect example of how they should look , mine is a example of how to make one with just leftover metal I had on hand .an a bearing press, its not the fancyest but it will work.
so here is what you need .
1. 1 8inch large flat roller with needle bearings an shaft
2. 1,3 inch 1/4 round face roller with needle bearings an shaft sourced at grainger or mc'mastercarr (cant remember exactly where I got them )
3. about 5 foot of 2 X 3/16 inch square steel tubing
4 about 18 inches X 3 of 1/2 inch plate
5.4 inches of 1 inch round steelbar an a welder
important these rollers must run true .
cut 3 12 inch peices of the tubeing an mount the small roller on one end of the tubing
at the other end of that tube make a mount frame by welding 2 peices across the bottom approximately 2 inches above the end without the roller.
be sure to keep things as level an plumb as posible.
the upper roll mount is fairly simple .
you need to make a mount for the large roller from a 3 inch peice of the tubeing an 2 peices of 1/2 plate drilled for the shaft be sure to keep the shaft in alingment, take a peice of the 1/2 in plate an weld it across the top of the 3 inch small peice then cut a peice of the steel bar about 1 1/2 long an weld to the center of that plate to fit into the press' reciever weld on a 12 inch peice to one side an attach mounting flanges an bolt that to the press.
I clamp the lower roller to my press an aligning that can be a bit of a pain but it works .
I am not real good at writing this kind of thing so I hope that the pics will help .
I am here to answer questions on this . build one an have fun shaping metal gentlemen.
DIY english wheel .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This is a tool that requires years of experience to master. However anyone can use an English Wheel. Just stick the metal in and start rolling and moving it around. You'll develope a technique sooner or later and you might be amazed at what you can accomplish.

The real challenge comes when you have to make a mirror image of the piece you just made. Example would be the 'other half' of a fuel tank. Duplicating almost any custom fabricated part in reverse can be interesting.

There are classes in the use of the wheel but knowing the basics won't be enough to successfully make complex shapes. It will take practice, practice and then a little more practice.
Renowned sheetmetal worker, Ron Covell offers on-site classes in custom sheetmetal working. I've watched his videos where he builds steel fenders for classic cars. He makes it look easy............bet it ain't :) Ron Covell Creative Metalworking Workshops

Tom

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i think your going to find that using the hyd press is going to have a lot of flex, an english wheel is made of such huge pipe so it won't flex, which will make it almost impossible to duplicate twin parts. my english wheel is huge. i've had it for 3 years and sill have not mastered it. love it though. it's also really good at smashing your fingers.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
i think your going to find that using the hyd press is going to have a lot of flex, an english wheel is made of such huge pipe so it won't flex, which will make it almost impossible to duplicate twin parts. my english wheel is huge. i've had it for 3 years and sill have not mastered it. love it though. it's also really good at smashing your fingers.
yeah it does flex quite a bit , altho I have gotten used to it an have gotten decent results making dupelicate parts , but I mostly use it to roll out dents in motorcycle fenders , theres no feeling thats better for me when I tell a guy I repaired his tins filler free an they are just like the factory intended them . I also do lead work to repair tanks that are damaged , but thats getting harder an harder to do these days finding the right lead is very hard anymore.

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
i have spent many many hrs behind my old finger smasher i mean english wheel...good to see other people are still enjoying this black art

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Watching anyone who is a master of a craft, makes it look easy. I learned respect at a young age, when some of them would say "give it a try)!

Some things I have mastered over the years. However one lifetime is not enough for all the crafts I would like to master.
Unless you are born with certin gifts, there are things that you will not be able to master, but that shoulden't stop you. Building the E-wheel I can do but don't have the time (and maby not the talent) it would take to become a master at it.

e
This is a tool that requires years of experience to master. However anyone can use an English Wheel. Just stick the metal in and start rolling and moving it around. You'll develope a technique sooner or later and you might be amazed at what you can accomplish.

The real challenge comes when you have to make a mirror image of the piece you just made. Example would be the 'other half' of a fuel tank. Duplicating almost any custom fabricated part in reverse can be interesting.

There are classes in the use of the wheel but knowing the basics won't be enough to successfully make complex shapes. It will take practice, practice and then a little more practice.
Renowned sheetmetal worker, Ron Covell offers on-site classes in custom sheetmetal working. I've watched his videos where he builds steel fenders for classic cars. He makes it look easy............bet it ain't :) Ron Covell Creative Metalworking Workshops

Tom