Testing the waters

GoldenMotor.com

What would you like to see sold in the U.S. the most?

• a bicycle 48cc engine kit with a round head and lots of extra parts

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • A 4 stroke kit that is cheap and shifts without a shift kit

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • special accessories like better quality headlights, and other specialty upgrades

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Hi all,
I'm considering becoming a bicycle engine dealer and I'm just doing a poll to gain a bit of feedback about what y'all might like to have available in the U.S. I know that there is a demand for the 2 stroke engines with round cylinder heads, and I also know that a lot of people would like to have a shifting 4 stroke available to them. Lastly, there are lots of accessories that I could distribute along with the kits I sell. What this is for is to know what you MOST want to see readily available in the U.S.
Thanks
-LS

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
All of the above would be nice.....

I personally dont really care about the 48cc engines all I will ever buy will be the 66cc's

if you could come up with a 48cc set up that included the centrifical clutch option, that might be a good seller......shrug

If you could get a big batch of the (PK 80)/66cc engines that would probably be a good seller, these are the ones with the longer bent clutch arm.

These seem to be pretty good quality engines from what I've seen and heard.

A nice looking and working light kit for our bikes would be great as well, that would be a good seller too, I'd be in for three of those at least if they were good and not to expensive.

Peace

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Thanks for the input Map :) I don't think they make the PK80 any more, I'm lucky enough to have one, I can try to find a supplier that still manufactures them because you're right, they would be a GREAT seller :)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I throw my vote for the accesories..lighting , air conditioning, power steering and sunroofs would be great!! Ive read threads that EZ is coming up with a 2 speed drive system. As far as a cheap kit..dont think there will ever be a dependable cheap kit. Look at the chinas not too dependable, but cheap. I think there is a growing market for upgrades and parts that are dependable, well made, and stood behind by the vendor.. and price reflects that. Look at some of Pirates stuff, SCP parts, these guys wouldnt be selling this stuff if they were losing money. Im sure there will always be a market for the week-end build bikes..thats awesome thats what gets everyone here. But there are loads of people selling the "everyone has it " stuff. If it was Me I would sell good quality stuff as well as entry level and stand behind it..let your price reflect that.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Thanks again :) I also think there could be good local money in making a bike once in a while, especially if I was getting the kits at dealer price, I would make a good profit on selling complete bikes. I have a feeling the accessories will be the easiest to do without stepping on people's toes when I have my own line of products :)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks for the input Map :) I don't think they make the PK80 any more, I'm lucky enough to have one, I can try to find a supplier that still manufactures them because you're right, they would be a GREAT seller :)
BGF still sells them but maybe he just has a few of them that are left over.

I just bought a PK lower from him the other day, at least the picture in the add was that of the PK, I may find that what I get is something different, I'll know in a few days and then I'll let you know also.

Peace

Attachments

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
My views are skewed away from the in-frame China kits but the manufacturers and dealers I've noticed with staying power have kept an eye on what state laws are to stay out in front on that and most states disallow shifting for MBs for street use. I'd guess there is of course a market for an unlimited class used for racing, closed tracks, private land, etc.

Joaquin Suave

Dec 9, 2008
Alta & Baja California
I am a TOTAL NOOB! So please take my $.02 with a "grain of salt"...

I, like all good noobs try to do a lot more lurking and searching than posting...And it seems to me that the VAST majority of the MB people are really cheap and expect A LOT for the very few coins they throw at their hobby. And dear load! If the POS that they bought were to fail even slightly...Then it is "war path" time (I expect that the most of they're problems are because of a lack of mechanical skills).

So...

Do you REALLY want to subject your passion to the gripes of a bunch of cheap snivelers. You know what they say about dogs...They don't sh*t where they eat?

Do you believe that Motobiking is poised for a resurgence and that you can make positive effect in the convincing clients/people that high efficiency motorized bikes can be hip and not just for the odd-balls & the DUI losers?

Are you willing to invest your money in an endeavour will probably gain you a bunch of freeloading "friends" AND NO PROFIT???

[/flame]

I've personally have lost a bunch of coin following my dreams over the years and feel being the devils advocate is more helpful than being just another cheerleader.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, I would sell good stuff and leave the crap to others.

Staton has been in business for how long?

Another thing I think would be a good idea is to supply a kit that was "matched" to a bike. You would need to research the bikes and buy a couple, but then you could say;

"This kit is guaranteed to fit X, Y and Z"

That would save your customers a lot of pain and extra cash.

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
What I see a demand for is 'massaged' motors. Not factory new. Buy em in from china, Crack them open, inspect for flaws, port them out, match grind everything, seal them up, and run them in hard on a test stand. Yeah, it's more expensive than just being a dealer, but if you're good at it, you'll corner the market.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
thanks for that! Yeah, I'm pretty darn good at engine work if I do say so myself :) I wasn't sure if anyone would actually pay for that, but if that is something people would want then heck yeah, I'd do it :) I think Chris Hill did something kind of like that with the ch80 back in the day :)