Modern Retro

GoldenMotor.com

MatCauthon137

May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
So this is my second build. I ordered it from gasbike.com (whic i will never do again, btw), but that is another story. Anyway, I went to walmart and bought a cheap little $75 bike (because it looked awesome). This is a Huffy Cranbrook. It looks like a beach cruiser that was built back in 1957 or around then. I even got a little wicker basket to put on the front and am considering putting a bell, lol, i am having fun with this one. I am using a grubee skyhawk 48 cc (i have had this engine before, and only had minor problems with it, like an unexplained loss of power after about 500 miles), so pretty good motor i think. although, i am also working on a third build for my wife (we are building them together) and her is a grubee starfire (cheap-o), and her motor outperforms mine already, lol. I love doing these. I can't wait to get these done, especially my modern retro one...will post pics as soon as finished. usflg

MatCauthon137

May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
ok, two problems...i think half the battle (fun) is working out the problems. The first is I am pretty sure i have an air leak, that though is easily fixed. Just have to locate, and seal. Second though is the coaser brake. Usually, attached from hub to frame of bike, pretty simple set-up. This one though, attached from hub to a really thin cheap piece of metal (like coke can thin) and is expected to stop the bike. Flying down the road, that thing will snap. So, let me run a couple ideas past ya. First is to buy and install a set of pull brakes on the front wheel. Second, (and the one i like the best if it will work) is to drill a hole in the side of the frame and attach the arm directly there. Suggestions?

also, I obviously dont wanna flip, should i just repace the coaster brake altogether and put the pull brakes on the back, or on the front and use them both in concert hoping the back doesn't fail (last time one failed it tore up the spokes in the wheel and almost the motor iteslf)

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
can you re-attatch it with a heavier metal strap so it looks like older coaster brakes on old bikes,,,,,

MatCauthon137

May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
can you re-attatch it with a heavier metal strap so it looks like older coaster brakes on old bikes,,,,,
Now that is something I haven't thought about...I can do that...in fact, I think I will try to do that as well as try to put a pair of pull brakes on the front...of course if the pull brakes detract from the look i am going for, the heavier strap may be all i need...I want this to look like a restored 1957 beach cruiser. Thanx corgi usflg