Ok tell me if this sounds right

GoldenMotor.com

Tulsacruiser

Mar 26, 2010
Tulsa, Ok
OK I'm new to all of this but 2 weeks ago I bought a MB and last friday I added fuel to the tank. Well when I did I added the gas to the gas can and then added my oil and then poured it into the tank but I for got to mix them (shake the can), I realized this after I poured a bunch in, so I stopped I then shook the can and begin to fill the tank. I started it up and ran it down the street (running like crap) but didnt have the time to mess with it since I was headed out of town. Monday after work I pulled it out and it tried to start but woulnt turn over then it just completly stopped and everytime I tried to start it, it would just lock up the back wheel. So last night I pulled the spark plug and its caked with oil. So my guess is that when I poured in the unmixed gas/oil the oil sunk to the bottom of the tank and was sucked up. So to fix this I should dump the tank and replace the plug right??

THanks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Given ya found the plug covered in oil - yea yer prolly right, but you'll wanna replace the fuel filter and drain/clean the carb bowl as well.

Try pulling the plug out & ground the plug (better fer the mag/cdi) and turning the engine over a couple of times by hand (turning the rear wheel)... hopefully it's just the additional compression & thickness of the surplus oil "locking" the engine.

Tulsacruiser

Mar 26, 2010
Tulsa, Ok
Given ya found the plug covered in oil - yea yer prolly right, but you'll wanna replace the fuel filter and drain/clean the carb bowl as well.

Try pulling the plug out & ground the plug (better fer the mag/cdi) and turning the engine over a couple of times by hand (turning the rear wheel)... hopefully it's just the additional compression & thickness of the surplus oil "locking" the engine.
Thanks man, where can I buy the fuel filter, or do I have to order it?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Naw - any auto parts store, even Walmart will prolly have one. It's a 1/4" inline and I like the ones with the lil metal filter like this;

They're like $2 or something so grab a couple, it's nice to have spares. :D

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
All you have to do is drain the tank,clean out the carb bowl, and wipe the sparkplug(you dont have to buy a new one).

If he did put raw gas in the tank,then he could just add oil and shake.