Fuel

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
laff

Still - you could check some of the riding lawnmower gas caps, they prolly won't fit but they sometimes have a built in gauge and float mechanism, with some modding ya could prolly make it work ;) I thought about it myself before I realized I only fill my tank about once a week even tho I ride it every day lol

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
with some work you can make a sight glass on the tanks side might be too much work and can be dangerous as you will need to weld in a couple of fittings. I kind of like the idea of just taking off the gas cap myself. Don't ever flick your bic though for seeing inside the tank that will get you a ride in the meat wagon to the burn clinic.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
That's one thing I really like about this place the only thing we think is dumb is not asking a question. I still want a shaft drive option on my smokin smoker!

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
my 4 wheeler has a float gauge thats not part of the cap, you could pick one up but it will need lto be cut down and fit to the tank, i would look a bright side of this, at least now you know how many miles to the tank you can get or at least have an idea, i get 60 miles to the tank!!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
with some work you can make a sight glass on the tanks side might be too much work and can be dangerous as you will need to weld in a couple of fittings.
I beg to differ Norman. A sight "glass" can be easy as pie. Add a "T" to the line and foot or so of tubing. Costs a couple bucks and only takes a few minutes. Instant gas gauge.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
It is kinda hard to see what depth the fuel is at...back in the day they used sticks to guage tanks at gas stations you can do the same just be sure it is free of dirt when you dob it in there and when you pull it back up you can hold it beside the tank and see how deep the fuel is.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I'm thinkin if you run the T empty line up the side of the tank it will stay the same level in the site tube on the outside of the tank be good if it emptied into a breather hole in the gas cap. or had verry little air hole at the end...we had this setup on storage tanks haulin fuel.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I'm thinkin if you run the T empty line up the side of the tank it will stay the same level in the site tube on the outside of the tank be good if it emptied into a breather hole in the gas cap. or had verry little air hole at the end...we had this setup on storage tanks haulin fuel.
Exactly correct George. A little piece of rag in the end of the tube keeps gas from splashing out. I do this on all my ultralight planes where seeing level of gas is more than just an idle convenience..

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
the picture of the catch can with the sight glass is what I had in mind. My saying its a lot of work and can be dangerous is you got to make a couple of holes in the tank then tap them etc. Some people will cut /weld on a tank with out a good cleaning of the tank first, the results can be very bad. Lot of the guys don't have the tools necessary for the mods needed. So if you will take off the gas cap and look inside the tank its fast and easy way to check for fuel.
Some of the choppers I've seen have the sight glass set up on the tanks.
If you run out of fuel in an airplane you become a glider depending on how high you are your chances of a safe landing will improve gives you more time to pick out a landing spot or more time to break out the bible and study for the big final test before the Uh Oh happens. Most all of the ultra lights I've flown if the engine would quit just about look straight down as that is how far your going to glide. to me they glided like a brick lots of drag and not much inertia at least on the few ultra light I've flown.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Knowing your fuel level is a learning curve IMO so I'd just use the stick method (wipe the dust clean first).
Once you get used to the bike it's much easier to guess at it.
Ya know the "sight tube method" don't have to run up the side of the tank it could be zip tied to the frame of the bike long as the end was higher than the top of the tank.