Caraci bike, first build, help, suggestions...

GoldenMotor.com

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
Hi, there. So after years of trying to get a moped that wasn't in poor condition or seller isn't asking for too much I decided to build a motorized bike instead. I've only seen motorized bike in action once in my city. Ran into this site because someone posted a motorized bike on a moped board somewhere else, and well you know how that turned out. I thought it was funny.

Anyways, after reading this forum and others for almost week, and checking out cruisers around town I decided on a road bike instead. Cruisers just felt too heavy/bulky for me. I hopped on my brothers customized trek bike and like the feel of it, and frame. Anyways I was reading almost every board here to see builds and saw two people had the caraci bike, and it as a good price so I went with it. Here's what I ordered so far.

Caraci $140
Motor Kit from Song-top on eBay for $135
ProMax Dual lever brake $21

I'm worried about braking, in the future I'm hoping to get disc brakes for the front tire. I'm also looking for a lock, whats a good way to lock the bike and not have someone else start it?

I'm thinking of getting the E-lock titan with cable.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T76FFTY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A783RP34HORA1

Anyways thanks for reading, and helping out.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Two locks, lock the front tire to the frame with a chain or cable lock, then use a U lock through the rear tire and frame to Lock bike to pole or bike rack.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
A pretty good rule of thumb is if you lock your bike up it will get stolen. That being said I sold production locks for years and feel I did better building my own for running into a store real quick and such. I went to home depot and bought 1.5 feet of the biggest heaviest link chain they sold. And a very expensive pad lock from the marine industry. Take and feed the chain thru a used bike tube and zip tie it to the last link to keep it from scratching up the bike.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
If you dial in the dual pivot brakes that came stock with high end pads and cables they will throw you over the bars with two fingers so a disc upgrade is nice if it's raining but not more powerful unless they are expensive hydraulics they will not stop you better. Do all those upgrades we talked about by P.M. and you will have a very fast and fun bike.

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
I'm running into problems when putting this bike together. I forgot to put the three metal brackets inside the wheel after trying to make the bolts fit through the spokes. Probably took me 2 hours to put together only to realize I forgot the brackets.

But I have a few major problems for me right now.

1) I can't open up the area where you put the chain in. I'm just stripping the flat screw from the pic I provide. I'm watching this video :https://youtu.be/k7g1jBPyAmM

At 19:30 he did it without opening it up, but used a flat head screw driver, how do I go about turning it? I feel like the paint is making it really hard to unscrew, even the sprocket thing inside the motor for the chain is painted black.

http://i.imgur.com/NDuDwd1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Ih5M61v.jpg

2) How do I unlink the chain? I see a "C" piece, how do I take that off without like a chain breaker?

3) Is there a way to install the throttle without having to drill a hole on the handlebar? Do places like Ace Hardward or OSH have services where they can drill that for you? Thanks.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
You are doing unnecessary work. Do not use the kit sprocket mount, simply bolt the kit sprocket to the fixed sprocket that came on the Caraci. And if you hook up the clutch it is possible to feed the chain around the front sprocket with out removing the cover if you have too. I will take a pic of the rear sprocket set up and get it too you tonight. You will in time need to get that sprocket cover off though so pick up the as seen on tv screw extractor kit and replace those and all the case covers with allens.

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
Any tips on getting the tensioner feeding the rear sprocket correctly? At first the rear sprocket would be hitting the chain half a turn around the sprocket stopping the bike. I spent an hour trying to align it. It doesn't seize the bike anymore, but every full turn of the sprocket it makes sound like its slightly grazing a piece of the chain.

Also my throttle didn't come with the metal end caps to plug into the CDI but did for the rest. I was really hoping to be riding my bike right now.

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
I got the tensioner working for now. Everything is put together, but I was riding for 40 minutes trying to get it to start. I'm following the instructions that came from ebay seller song-top.

1) open fuel valve, lever pointed down is open position.
2) Depress small round cap plunger next to idle screw, one or two times.
3) Lift choke lever upward position.
4) Pull cluth
5) Pedal a ways down.
6) Release cluth.
8) Twist throttle to increase speed.
9) Adjust choke?
10) After warm up push choke lever all the way down. IF engine races too fast or slow, pull clutch lever and lock in the notched catch? Stop and adjust engine rpm.

I was adjusting the idle screw in and out. The best I've had was the engine spinning when I released the clutch and continued pedaling but would die after a 4 seconds and can't pedal any longer.

Going to check spark plugs tomorrow.

Edit: Got it to run. But fuel tube is leaking where it connects to the valve. It's fit in all the way and snugly, but it leaks out where they connect. Same near paper fuel filter.

The tensioner is what I'm worried about. If I tighten the sprocket hits the wheel, but if its loose it feeds in fine, but the next day like this morning it wasn't tight enough that it went out of position and became loose.

http://i.imgur.com/nb3rlsX.jpg

Last edited:

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
The chain tension-er needs to be tweaked so that it is in line with the bike frame.
Usually takes a bench vice and a crescent wrench to do the job.
I noticed also that your driven sprocket may be inside out......
Take a picture from the rear of the bike showing the chain alignment to the motor....

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
The bike looks great. You need to bolt the kit sprocket to the inside of the fixie sprocket like my pics. It's deceiving and looks like it will work that way but you will fight it and fight it and it will still bind. Lube it with gear oil and work the oil in. Then clean it really really well, you want the chain oiled but dry to the touch which is hard to achieve. Also do not hook up the kill switch, you will find tons of members on here that have had fried magnetos from the kill switch. Again the bike looks AWESOME, great choice and great work. Get it finished up so I can nominate you for bike of the month!

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Also what boxcar said, the chain stay is not round and at an angle to the chain so you will need to twist it in a vice with a large adjustable wrench. It's really the only way to get it right.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That bike looks great.. these guys are giving you good advice too as far as setting up the chain tensioner. If you can set up your front wheel for a disc brake I got a link where I got my hydraulic lever and caliper setup off ebay for $34... before the disc brake was about as good as a really well setup v brake, but once converted to hydraulic it became very smooth and very powerful, it can flip the bike with a 2 finger pull if youre not careful... and that's with a small 160 mm rotor.
I'll find and post the ebay link I got mine from if you need more braking power. Otherwise, the salmon colored kool stop pads work exceptionally well. I'm using those on my rear wheel for now and like them a lot.

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
I did some fixes today, aligned the motor so the chain is straight. Noticed the chain hitting the frame when the tensioner isn't properly aligned. Chained spark plugs, rode around was getting looks. So the past few hours I've been searching around here and Google for California laws.

I guess I'll need to get some plates, and a M2 license? I just bought a helmet, so now I'll need to buy another, a DOT helmet. I'm sad now, thinking of getting licenses and more money to spend. Wasn't going to do anymore modifications then what it is now.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Go to the California dmv website, there is a form to fill out for a motorized bicycle plate, print it, fill it out and send the $20 with it.

It does not ask for a liscense number, it only asks for engine # and bicycle vin #. Most guys use the bicycle serial #, add an E to it and make that the engine #. Unless you live in Los Angeles most cops won't hassle you about the liscense.

I highly recommend a full face helmet

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
BTW your fuel filter is backwards, I recommend 3/16 id tygon fuel line and a better fuel filter. I also hate stock fuel petcocks, I use the one sold on sickbikeparts.com

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
I applied for a license and sent it in. If I get my permit this week, I still wouldn't be able to ride without being possibly stopped and being ticket for no license plate right?

And you're right the fuel filter was upside down, and when fixing it I found where the oil leak was coming from. There was a crack on the fuel filter.

I also bought this, wanted to get one anyways. This will be a good place to put the license plate right? Just have to drill the holes to match the rack.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00991M8P6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also bought those cheap Ebay turn signal brake light combo which I'll attach onto the rack.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
How is the bike riding. We are lucky here in Tucson, we don't have to register anything under 50cc and go under 20 mph which I strictly abide by cough cough. No seriously I ride responsibly but do have a 66. Anyway update us on the ride! Happy motoring!

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
I haven't ridden as much as I'd like to since the area I live at has police on dirt bikes or motorcycles. Worried about being ticketed for no license or permit. Just came back from the DMV actually and took two exams for my motorcycle permit. Lady said I can't ride my bike until I have my license plate. I don't know why you can't when newly bought cars you can.

After the test I went to a motorsport store bought a mx helmet for $39, and a copper looking fuel filter since the one that came with the kit is cracked. Hopefully I don't see anymore oil leaks on the ground when I check the bike the next day. I was thinking it was the float from what I've been reading around.

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
I'm been searching but didn't find a clear answer, but do we need to get insurance for these motorized bikes in california?