new race carb, no race feeling:/?

GoldenMotor.com

shadix20555

Mar 11, 2016
tn
hello yall I bought a new race carb the one that's the SHA Clone.. the one where u just slap it on and go. I have installed everything correctly im pretty sure and I tried it twice, even took it apart and looked put it back together and still nothing. it will start and idle but absolutely no go whatsoever it straight boggs! im like huh and also when I took it apart I didn't pull the jet out after the top screw to look further but im boggled on why would it not work and im not at high elevation.zpt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And don't be fooled by that "Race" tag the seller hung on it. That is marketing hype to get people to buy them hoping their bike will suddenly be faster.

You would have been better off keeping your original carburetor, if it was the NT style, and tuning it by finding the jet size that works best for you. Unless your engine is highly modified the stock NT carb will work as good or better than any aftermarket ones.

'Race' or 'Racing', 'High Performance' and other come-on names don't make them better. And Joe is right. Unless the carb is tuned correctly by experimenting with jet orifice size don't expect 'bolt-on' improvements. There's no free lunch.

Tom

Macky65

Jun 2, 2016
Wisconsin
I just purchased this "High Performance" carb because my NT carb broke off, so I was hoping to get a little extra performance with a new one. I installed it and my top speed went from 30mph to 20mph... Is there any way of adjusting these types of carbs? I have the version with the idler screw on the side.

Thanks,
Macky

Attachments

Alpha Centauri

May 29, 2016
New Hampshire
I just purchased this "High Performance" carb because my NT carb broke off, so I was hoping to get a little extra performance with a new one. I installed it and my top speed went from 30mph to 20mph... Is there any way of adjusting these types of carbs? I have the version with the idler screw on the side.

Thanks,
Macky
Only way to adjust that prehistoric carb is to put a bigger or smaller jet in it and/or move the fuel metering needle up or down. This needle slides up and down with the slide valve in the carb. What I just explained is why I put a Walbro weed whacker carb on my China girl, cause the Walbros have fuel metering SCREWS on them, no silly jets or needles to have to take che carb apart to adjust.

Macky65

Jun 2, 2016
Wisconsin
Only way to adjust that prehistoric carb is to put a bigger or smaller jet in it and/or move the fuel metering needle up or down. This needle slides up and down with the slide valve in the carb. What I just explained is why I put a Walbro weed whacker carb on my China girl, cause the Walbros have fuel metering SCREWS on them, no silly jets or needles to have to take che carb apart to adjust.
Do you know of anywhere I can find instructions on how to adjust the fuel metering needle? I searched everywhere and couldn't find anything on this.

Thanks again,
Macky

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
If you are certain you don't have any air or fuel leaks you can try to adjust the jet size. Buy some jets and try them until you dial it in. It's best to start rich and then move down until you find the right one. It's good to get the engine hot before judging each jet, often times you will get some 4 stroking until the engine gets hot. I think most carbs come with a .70 installed that is often times too rich.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-Motori...033033?hash=item4afed63cc9:g:kXsAAOSw8vZXMNqf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-B...ash=item419b5cf7b8:g:ErkAAOSwjVVV16kh&vxp=mtr

brnot