Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, this has been some project, my friend. I hope your machinist does your work in a timely manner. It will be good to have both of our tri-cars done and turning heads. Summer is coming...
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi, Silverbear,

This has been a journey indeed and ordering these parts was part of it. Wanted a 62 tooth rear sprocket and a large rear sprocket adapter. Well Pirate cycles has both and I tried to order them but they are out of the adapter but had the sprocket. It's on it's way. I would imagine they got hit with the, "we have lot's of adapters" and then there are none due to the spring rush and the fact that the machine shop will get more done just as soon as they finish the big job that has to be done by the end of next week.

Manic Mechanic had adapters so I have one coming. Freemont Industrial Supply is sending the sprockets for the jack shaft.

I was going to make the shaft for the pedals but in a more lucid moment I decided to look and see if some one made a long 3 piece one for wide cranks. Got one at Sick Bike Parts but got to thinking that I'd look around and see what else was available. If S.B.P.'s is to short it will fit in the velo.
After a lot of searching I found one for $29.99 with no bearings for the shaft and pedal arms but they are out of them until June 1st. Just my luck. Then after rearranging the words I used to search, eBay came up with one for $70.00 for the whole kit. Thank you, no. Back again and Gas Bike had one on sale $50.00 on sale from $80.00 for the whole kit. No.

Then a thunder clap of genius hit. Look up the Google Custom Search box at the top of the forum page for someone who sells them in Canada. The winner is Motorized Bicycle Canada. They had the full set for $24.99 Canadian which is a whole lot less in your dollars.
This is the wide pedal kit that comes with the Grubee motor with the transmission. Two pedal arms, the bearings that screw into the bottom bracket, the sprocket and the shaft.

I win. No exchange rate on the dollar, U.P.S. doesn't get the chance to charge me their "Border brokers fee" and their less than kind out of country shipping fee as well. For three sets shipped to the door it was just over $98.00 and they were on the road the next day.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Forgot to add that the machinist said he would cut the keyway in the motor crank shaft while I waited since I had to travel so far. There may be more machining to do but if I have to go back to get it that is fine.

Can't beat service like that.

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
There seems to never be an end, maintenance I call it. For lack of parts that are strong enough for my rear wheel pulley on my multipurpose motorbike, I was forced to get a Chinese Taiwanese made Whizzer type clone sheave made of steel.

I could not get it to fit right as it sticks out sideways to clear big tires. The first I did cut the frame at the rear stays and weld as well to make a notched out section.

The reason I state this is that once running again I am on to finishing what I started on the Art Fish Cover for parade use. The future where if this holds up well, I might as well not just modify frames, but build them. 3 wheel young frog or side car deal!

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=549706#post549706

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Mr.B,

A friend of mine when I was young used to say "Don't start something you can't finish". While he was talking about a fight in the bar I have learned that this applies to life.

At times this project seems like I'm pedaling a bicycle with out the chain attached. Your pedaling like made and not going anywhere and you'll be darned glad when you get there.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
M.T.

I think that you and I started them about the same time. The bonus is that at least yours runs. I saw what you were talking about with the sheave repair. It's was common for the bikes with pulley sheaves to have to have the frames altered like that.

I think in a lot of ways it's easier to make the frame from scratch myself. I'm looking forward to seeing how you build the "fish" part of the build. It will be interesting.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
All the parts have been gathered up. Have to go down to my mail drop off in Washington State and pick up a couple of them and some nuts and bolts that I can't find here in metric land.

Pirate Cycles can't ship the sprocket so I've sent a request to Sportscar Pat for his adaptor and a custom sprocket. Should have done it in the first place. I can get the rest of it machined while I wait for him to machine the sprocket and send it all off.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hard to believe how long these tri-cars have taken. It was so easy to say... "yeah, let's build a couple tri-cars! How hard can it be?" Pretty hard, as it turns out. It will be good to call them "done".
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Spent a pleasant sunny and warm day working on the last bits for Silverbear's Hiawatha tri car. Spring mounts for the seat and the pitman arm that fits on the bottom of the steering shaft.

The fun part is finding just where I cunningly hid all the parts last fall so I could just reach out and find them when I started up again. I do wish I was as well organized as the rest of you.
The lost were found, memory banks were dusted of and searched to find out just what I was going to do with them and how. Tomorrow they will be welded up and finished and bagged so they can make the trip to bike camp this summer.

Silverbear is going with a wicker seat for the Hiawatha and since I'm living in the center of wicker land (Gateway to Asia) I've had an eye on Craig's list for the more than special, over the top, chair. Had a few close that's it but nothing that is spectacular. It will happen soon as the good weather moves along and people get to selling and buying new.

Feels good to be back at it.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So good to hear of your activities, Steve. On my end in another part of the world it will soon be time to dust off the Hiawatha now in storage, tucked away in my brother's cabin. The snow pack from a long winter is slowly receding back into the forest floor so that his cabin will soon be accessible without shoveling my way to it. It's been a long winter, part of which I spent in Omaha, Nebraska at my sister's place recuperating after my heart attack in January. While there I laced up the tri-car front wheels from a pair of old Schwinn rims, some used 12 gauge spokes and the hubs you had made up in England, if I remember right. In prime coat now, I'll shoot them red when spring thaw is further along.

The tri-car is like an old friend, with fond memories of summers past spent working on engine mounts, making the exhaust from old bike frame tubing, extending the handlebars and a hundred other small things that make a build. You were there making sparks with the welder, Steve, and after a day's tinkering we often walked to the lake for a bar of soap swim and cleanup before having a beer with dinner at the Road Kill Cafe (my trailer kitchen). Mixed into the build memories are winter Saturdays in Maryland sharing shop space with Tinsmith as I helped him craft a beautiful copper gas tank for the Worksman frame. Every now and then his dog Bailey would come to the shop door with tennis ball in mouth, hoping that one of us felt like playing ball. Dan tells me that Bailey passed on a week ago, which sorrows me. He was a good boy and a fine shop dog, Bailey was.

We all know that a lot goes into any one of a kind build, especially ambitious ones like our tri-cars, Steve. The very best parts, better even than the vintage engines and special wheels, some things bought new and others made from nothing... best of all are the friendships discovered and forged over these years of fabrication. When I dust off the Hiawatha this spring, that's what I'll be thinking about... you and Curtis Fox and Dan the Tinsmith and even Bailey hopeful with his ball, waiting at the shop door. It's all good, my friend. Summer's coming! Gentlemen, start your engines...
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Glad you are back at it. The older we get the longer it takes to heal,I am finials get back in the groove myself. An will be gLad to get back home and get started,like SB said start your engines. Mine is almost started and would hAve been if I hadn't taken this trip to LA. The crankshaft has been resized and key way cut in. All that is left is to drill out the in take port
from 1/2" to 3/4". Got to try and get a little more then 1 hp out of the old Briggs.

For sure spring fever has hit,and us old farts are on the mend,and can't wait to get at it........Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hey Curt,

It hasn't healed yet but I'm tired of the sitting and waiting so I'll just close my eyes to the pain and move on. The infection holds on for a very long time and I just can't wait it out.

Really hoping you get the bike built and we can all meet up for a ride. I looked up a Nelson motor and it was really something. Were they all horizontal motors like the Maytag's usually were?

Safe trip home.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It will be good to see you again this summer. I see the doctor on Thursday and I'll get to ask him if I'll ever dance again. I'm going to ask him if he thinks I can get away the first part of July as well.

He has warned me a few times that if the infection is still in my system at the end of June I'll have to go back on the intravenous pump in the handy little bag and have the tube in my arm and over near my heart again to make it work. Another month of joy and then the 9 months of pills. Don't mind though because the nurse that does the tube is really a sweet heart and interested in motor bikes. :)

Great things have emerged from the Road Kill Café carefully prepared by our chef and served, weather permitting, on the terrace. Hopefully this summer will see the tri car finished and on the road at long last.

Here's to summer.

Steve.