Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Sweet mercy it's be a long while since I was here. If you've been stopping by to see if the thread or I may died or out of curiosity to see just what an Indian tri car was, bless you. A number of things have happened, one being that things had to be moved out of the house and into the garage so there was no room to do much work then my arthritis flared up for a number of months. Couldn't hold tools if there had been room.

The garage has now been hollowed out and today I was back at the Indian. Arthritis is still bad but manageable as it's going to get. The fella that modified the motor for me said when he sent it to me that the carb needed rebuilding. I've been looking for a rebuilding kit but all there seems to be is a generic kit that everyone has but doesn't have all the gaskets needed. While looking around the net I found the model number for the carb and that opened up the search. Up until then all I had was what make and model of snow thrower they came on.

The carb was on a lot of chain saws as well but the motor is forty four years old and the company that made them is out of business and the assets of the company have been sold a few times since then. I was able to find some new and a lot of used carbs with the model number including the last factory rebuild kit that a company had from the buy out they made of a former dealers stock.

It will be here in a week or so and then I'll place the carb in the ultrasonic cleaner then rebuild it and put the motor back together and see it it works.

Lots of other things to do until then.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank you all. I did get out to see it for visits but that was it. The engine is a two stroke set up like a chain saw but the way it's mounted the carb is on the bottom almost up against the bottom bracket and it screws on to the reed box from the bottom. I hoped if I loosened the reed box I'd get it out but of course not so I had to pull the motor out. Now the motor is out I'll make an engine stand and get it running while I have it out in the open. Looking back I should have done that the first time.

Now the all to familiar parts wait.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
As I said in the Electric Bicycles, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles section, Old age and arthritis have really taken a toll on this project. Now the hold up is insulating the garage doors and getting rid of the parts I'll never use and the clutter of boxes and bins. Garage has electric heat. There is 6" of insulation in the walls but the doors are not insulated.

Insulation has been ordered and when it gets here it will be put in place. I have removed the engine from the Indian Tri Car and welded up an engine stand for it. It is to hard to work on in the bike. The carb was dodgy as per the seller so I purchased a rebuild kit and replaced what ever was there. If that doesn't help I'll purchase a new carb. There are a few available on eBay.

I'll post some photos below of the engine stand. Hopefully by Christmas it will be in and running but I'm not going to hold my breath either.

Steve.

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Home Depot has aluminum covered rock wool panels 2'x4'x 1-1/2" with an R6 rating. It just acts to stop the door acting as a heat sink when the heater is on. We don't get extremely cold days here usually. Often 40+F during the day and maybe mid 20's at night and usually about 8+ weeks of that. Snow may add up to 2' in a bad winter and last for a couple of weeks. Two or three inches of snow and the schools close for days and the old folks load up on bread and milk as if they were still living back East.

Health is the biggest hold up. I can feel my arthritis stiffening up as I'm working in the garage. Then there are the piles of boxes and bins in the way as I sort out the parts that are being tossed out.

Steve.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Your inspiration got me looking. Some double faced reflective bubble core rolls that will cover a single car door. 75USD and R8.
My shop when I lived in Illinois was a foam core door. I added turn buckles to draw the door tight to the door frame door gaskets.
Have you given this a go? Medical Cannabis - CBD & THC | Arthritis Society Canada
Asking for a friend, wink, nod.

Our last damp low pressure spell had my Arthur getting my attention. Just pain, but mobility the same.

Tom